• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Highbeam not working - Any thoughts

johncannizzaro

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I realized that my highbeams are not working on my 96 Jeep Cherokee. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box but nothing. Any ideas on what can be up with it? It seems that no power is going when I click the highbeams on. Everything is working fine. I now they worked last week but I realized on Sat night they weren't working.
Thanks,
John

switch in the stalk would be my first inclination. See if you get continuity through the switch.

87manche said:
switch in the stalk would be my first inclination. See if you get continuity through the switch.
The dimmer switch is not in the stalk, it's cable controlled and mounted under the dash. That would be a good place to start though.
96 may have a dimmer relay though.

Also, my advice as always: check the connector plug that is more or less beneath the air cleaner, where the light harness passes through the front bulkhead. Corrosion, even to the extent of eating away pins, is common, so even if it isn't the problem this time, you'll be doing yourself a favor to clean and lube it now.

langer1 said:
The dimmer switch is not in the stalk, it's cable controlled and mounted under the dash. That would be a good place to start though.

Actually it is located on the stalk in many older XJs. I had to replace mine about a year ago (i think I used the switch from a '93?). Not sure about a '96 though, you're probably right...

langer1 said:
I assumed it was in the stalk, but the dimmer switch would be the first thing I would look at, wherever it may be.

Back