• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank fix: JB Weld? Where to find hanger bolts??

xjfish

NAXJA Forum User
Tank on my '87 XJ started leaking bad lately and pulled it tonight to find that it had quite a few pinhole leaks in it (from rust) Tank is only rusted where the straps are to hold it up. I know a guy who used JB-weld on his F250's tank and said its holding up fine. Good temporary fix? I have the tank sitting in the garage with JB smeared all over the holes as I write this...not sure if it will hold up. Anyway I had to cut the bolts that hold the tank up with the curved ends (straps bolt onto) because the nuts were rusted on. Any idea where I can find a pair? Parts store? Hardware store?

Thanks in advance for any help!

While it is down Id replace the tank. I know IM a bit away but I have 2 perfect metal tanks and plenty of hanger bolts you can have for shipping...should probably run about 40.00 total...you might be able to get a tank local for less, but dont be cheap and put the ol tank back in. gas leaks are the #1 reason for car fires

You can risk the life of everyone that has to drive on the freeway/hiway/road/trail with you or you could do the right thing buy yourself a new tank. I can get em for like 110 bucks here in Canada...must be even cheaper in the US.

For cripes sake you already have the tank out. You are going to spend more time trying to patch that pile up when its just going to rust out again.

I can't believe some people even contemplate repairing something like that. It's like wrapping duct tape around a rad hose as a permanent fix.

You can get the hanger bolts from O'Reilly's(so I assume any parts store can get em) usually dont have em in stock though.

might want to check in the battery section of the parts store for big j bolts. I saw some the other day at advance. Or you could just go to the hardware store and get some all thread and bend them yourself.

87manche said:
might want to check in the battery section of the parts store for big j bolts. I saw some the other day at advance. Or you could just go to the hardware store and get some all thread and bend them yourself.

bad Idea. neither is designed to hold tht kinda weight, both would fail fairly qiuckly

Thanks guys but If the tank doesn't leak I'm pretty sure I'm putting it back on. Its not the cost factor I'm too worried about, just the time factor. Pulling the tank really wasn't a big deal and if it doesn't leak tommorow and I can find some hanger bolts (will check the local Auto Value) I'll just put er back in. I need the jeep for hunting... I will try to pick up a good spare to put in when I have the time. Just don't really want to mess with the sending unit, waiting for a new tank, ect right now. On the other hand, If it leaks at all I'll hold out for a new or junkyard one. Will be watched closely. Don't want it to become a hazard.

Why not fill it with water and have it MIG'd for now and then order another.
I used to keep a tube of gas tank glue/sealer in the tool box (until it cooked off), pretty common at the local airport mechanics outlet.

The JB Weld will only last about a month or two on a gas tank, and thats if it isn't on a spot that has a strap(which will vibrate slightly) holding it on. Get it fixed soon it is a hazard, and not safe trust me. I went 4 months with JB Weld and Gasket Sealer filling the holes and it wasn't a good thing. The only reason I went that long was with my Commando it was impossible to find a tank for it.

How bloody long can it take to get a rather common fuel tank. I live in a community of 4500 people and I can get my local NAPA dealer to get me a part in 3 days or less...I'm sure you can do better than that. and I'm 600KM from a major distribution center..

xjnation said:
bad Idea. neither is designed to hold tht kinda weight, both would fail fairly qiuckly

If you use 3/8 threaded rod bent to match the stock holders it will be plenty strong. Just use a nut tack welded on for a head or double nut with one lock nut. There was a thread on this a few weeks ago, search and you should find it.

I would imagine all-thread would work fine. You're not putting any shearing load on it, and it should be strong enough to hold a tank+gas. Total wight should be around what, 200Lbs with a full tank?

I've got JB weld on mine, but I have plastic stripes lined on the straps so the straps don't rub directly on the JB. Held fine for a year now. As far as the hangers, well one broke and I replaced it with a turnbuckle. For 4 months its held up to abuse, but I do check it weekly.

Back