• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rustys springs

Hey i already searched and could not find wat I was looking for..soo right now i have rusty 6.5 inch rear springs.... there a too stiff and i think if i were to take one or two springs out of the pack that would help... its a six pack setup right now..woould the pack be to weak if i were to do it and bend? also i have horrible axle wrap and if i were to take the shims out would that help or worsen it?

Thanks

_Alex

your springs are to stiff, yet you have horrible axle wrap?

I have the same springs and they take a while to soften up, took mine almost 6 months of heavy use. and loading down the xj....as for the wrap mine is starting to worsen as the soften, but I had minimal when they were new.

well ive had mine on since last december almost a year (damn its been so long) and they are still stiff as a mo fo. my rear end hops on speed bumps some times and the axle wrap has jsut seemed to appear so mnay be they softened a little bit but not much

I put 3 75 pound bags of mortar mix and a couple boxes of tile (most heavy things I could find in the Garage) in the back of my jeep and drove around like that for about 2 weeks and it did wonders for my rusty's springs.

I have their 6.5" springs also. I called Rusty's and they recommended that I take the bottom spring out because I dont have a heavy rear bumper/tire carrier. He said they make them pretty rigid so they can support those kinds of weights. I have driving around without the bottom spring for a few months now and the ride has improved significantly and it was fine on the trail. They still need to flex out a little more and they will be perfect. I thought about throwing a buncha weight in the back but not really necessary anymore. Weight does help though.

I wouldn't take 2 out. I think you will notice a pretty nice change with just the one. I think it might be a little too much especially if you are going to be wheelin. I talked to Rusty today and he said to just find a ditch or something where the Jeep will articulate and let the suspesion work. I would take out the one spring then do that if I were you for starters.
(my 2 cents)

ccflexj said:
well ive had mine on since last december almost a year (damn its been so long) and they are still stiff as a mo fo. my rear end hops on speed bumps some times and the axle wrap has jsut seemed to appear so mnay be they softened a little bit but not much

Dont take this the wrong way but are you sure its axle wrap. And your not gonna get a caddy ride with any 6.5" lift spring. Hell mine are nice and soft for the trail but still hop over speed bumps.

Back