• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my XJ possesed?

98XJSport

Destiny is the rising sun
I have a 98 XJ 4.0 auto. Ive posted on here before about how when I turn the Jeep off at normal operating temp. and turn it on again before it cools off, I get the temp. guage spiking around and the check engine light comes on. Ive thought anywhere from simple electrical problem, to tstat, to new radiator. Ive replaced the tstat, coolant temp. sensor, and flushed the rad, nothing seems to help. I have noticed, though that the Jeep is fine on initial startup, it doesn't start spiking until I put it into reverse. To be more specific not until I let off the brake. If I let off the brake and the guage starts to move, then push back on the brake, it stops moving. Posesion by evil spirits? Ive also noticed that the voltage at this time reads about 13 volts, Im pretty sure I need a new alt. Could this have any connection to the temp guage jumping and giving me check engine codes? I know Ive had the alt. under water at least twice, maybe as much as 6 times, not to mention the mud runs... Any insight anyone at all? Take it out into a field and shoot it?

the temp sensor is just a thermistor. Gauge reads the resistace at the sender. I would put a multimeter at the sender and see what it does. You'll have to get te values from a FSM.

98XJSport said:
I have a 98 XJ 4.0 auto. Ive posted on here before about how when I turn the Jeep off at normal operating temp. and turn it on again before it cools off, I get the temp. guage spiking around and the check engine light comes on. Ive thought anywhere from simple electrical problem, to tstat, to new radiator. Ive replaced the tstat, coolant temp. sensor, and flushed the rad, nothing seems to help. I have noticed, though that the Jeep is fine on initial startup, it doesn't start spiking until I put it into reverse. To be more specific not until I let off the brake. If I let off the brake and the guage starts to move, then push back on the brake, it stops moving. Posesion by evil spirits? Ive also noticed that the voltage at this time reads about 13 volts, Im pretty sure I need a new alt. Could this have any connection to the temp guage jumping and giving me check engine codes? I know Ive had the alt. under water at least twice, maybe as much as 6 times, not to mention the mud runs... Any insight anyone at all? Take it out into a field and shoot it?
Remove all the ground wires, and clean them.

According to the manuals the resistance is within specs at the sensor. Ive also cleaned the threads on the sensor, since its self grounding. If I had a bad ground from the alt wouldn't I be having these problems all of the time, not just when doing the sequence of events I described?

I can answer that without even reading your post.

Yes, all XJ's are possesed. It's a little known fact, but XJ's attract only the most devious of demons. We're not talking head spinning, throw your priest out the window, full-blown Satan-in-the-flesh, chop-up-your-family demons. No, nothing that obvious. XJ demons are highly sophisticated in the art of ever so slowly driving the owner completely and irrevocably 'round the bend. They get their rocks off every time you drop your head onto the steering wheel, muttering (supposedly only to yourself), 'WTF now?' They love that shait!! When you're lying under your heep, motor oil in your eyes, sweatin' bullets, blood blister under your nail throbbing like a migrain, your XJ Demon sets your dashboard Jesus running back and forth screamin', 'aaaahhahaha' That's when you just drop everything, shake your head and mutter, 'Oh, WTF now?' :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Good Luck.

Last edited:
98XJSport said:
According to the manuals the resistance is within specs at the sensor. Ive also cleaned the threads on the sensor, since its self grounding. If I had a bad ground from the alt wouldn't I be having these problems all of the time, not just when doing the sequence of events I described?
Again there are mulitipal grounding points you need to find and clean them.
I would in your case start with the ones behind the driverside kick panel.
Don't just look, remove them and sand them clean.
Under the hood, clean the one for the battery to the engine, the engine to the firewall, the ones on the dipstick and the ones under the air box.

Back