• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocker replacement mod

Joe S.

NAXJA Forum User
i cut out my rockers this weekend, and welded in some rock sliders. my welder suggested that i not weld the body to the rockers because the thin metal may tear or the welds break loose. the rockers are tied into 4 places along the frame. what should i do? should i weld the sills to the sliders, or should i leave the gap alone, or at most fill it with silicone? one reply on jeepforum prompted this post. id like more opinions, and i have heard lots of people here have done similar mods...

here is the post i put on other boards. thanks for the opinions. joe

Well, I went Friday and picked up some steel and then today my welder and I got to hook up and get the replacements for my rusted out rocker panels. I spent yesterday cutting out the old rusty rockers and painting the remaining metal. Today we fabbed it up and welded it in, and I got it primed. I will paint this week…

Here is a quick rundown..
Materials used:

4x2x1/4 rect tubing
1/4x4 strap
3x3x1/4 angle iron
( 8 ) 1 1/4x3/16 sq tubing (diff lengths)
( 8 ) 3x6x1/4 plates

We started off by welding the plates to the frame to give something solid to mount the rockers to.
Then we fabbed up the rockers off the truck. This took quite a while.
Then we took the measurements and cut the sq. tubing to the length we needed. We have 4 on each rocker connecting the rocker to the frame. (it is not connected any where else.)
Then with the help of a jack we held the rockers up in place and welded it up. This is not something you want to be slow with, as these bad boys weigh in at about 80 pounds each!!!

After the ride next weekend I am gonna go back and get some thin metal welded on to cap the ends. I want to make sure that the rockers don’t protrude out too much and that I don’t need to cut any off the ends. Just doing test turns, everything cleared great, so I shouldn’t have a problem.

All in all, I have about 110 bucks in the materials, plus the instalation. For someone that knows how to weld, this is a cheap alternative to rock sliders…

I am really happy with these. They turned out great!

Pics:

2.jpg

9.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Those are some nice sliders. One suggestion, plug those ends up. A simple piece of steel welded to the ends will prevent alot of crap from piling inside those spaces

thanks! i am gonna cap em, but we ran short on time yesterday when we made them. i will either get em capped this week or after the ride next weekend.

what about welding them to the door sills?

I made rockers similar to yours but didn't tie them to the frame rails at all....just welded to the door sill, floor board, b-pillar and a-pillar. I've come down on them pretty good several times with no trouble.

I'd weld all your sheetmetal up and seal things nicely and help tie everything together.

Back