• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch Mount??

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone kno of a way to mount a winch to the front of the 85 xj without an aftermarket bumper?

(i need a cheap way to mount to the stock 85 xj)

i have not chosen a winch yet any suggestion?

p.s.-on a tight budget

ok well i did a search and did find anthing useful
i did find a pic of a guy that had a stock bumper with the winch behind it

I'm currently using a front reciever and a reciever mounted winch. I built the winch mount out of 1/4x2x2 box tube, and 1/4x3x3 angle iron. angle is gusseted and tied in to each other.
DSCF1785.jpg

The cheapest way is to get a front mount hitch receiver and a receiver cradle for the winch. There are a number of pros and cons to this type of mounting, and it's been discussed a lot before. If you do a search for something like winch and receiver I'm sure you'll get a bunch of hits.

okthanks that looks like my only other option i would still like any other options if anyone has one but this looks like the only one thanks again

Dan1990XJ said:
The originator of the post later stated that the way it was mounted could have led to the winch's failure
Ghost said:
we discovered that Ramsey actually built a specific series of winches that can pull from the feet. My winch actually failed and I believe its way of mounting was part of the contributing factor. This could be done with conventional winches if you were to reverse the mounting of the winch other wise I believe you will have the same problem I had. Winch failure.

Mothertrucker said:
so if i were to mount the winch in a manor of mounting it in the bumper it would fail??
Just read your mounting instruction with your winch, some are built for universal mounting position some are not.

does anyone kno which winches are able to be mounted universal or if u use a winch that u kno isnt able to be mounted universial tell me please so i dont buy that particular one another question what size would be needed smallest and biggest

damn thats a bad@$$ aproach to mounting a winch for a fraction of the cost of a new bumper or hitch set up and this one has rings attached

Mothertrucker said:
damn thats a bad@$$ aproach to mounting a winch for a fraction of the cost of a new bumper or hitch set up and this one has rings attached

How? :dunno:

Backbone is 265.00
Pre-runner bar 175.00

Front reciever is 99.00 or less (junkyard can be as little as 20.00)
Materials to build winch cradle 30.00 or less

Your choice of course, and I really do like the detours system, but your original post was for a cheap way to mount a winch.

Back