• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on this HF TIG

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with this unit?
It was on sale a couple of weeks ago, for $200 and will be on sale again soon.
Obviously, there's no chiller or pulse adjustment and is strike-to-arc.
Has it been worth the cash?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=91811

91811.gif

Last edited:
Dunno - but that looks like a stick welder to me. As far as I can recall, there's no such thing as a $200 TIG - Hell, a $200 MIG would be a miracle!

The big tell is the electrode clamp - TIG rigs don't hold electrodes in a clamp. The TIG process heats the metal with a torch in one hand, and the filler metal is added with the other.

5-90

5-90 said:
Dunno - but that looks like a stick welder to me. As far as I can recall, there's no such thing as a $200 TIG - Hell, a $200 MIG would be a miracle!

The big tell is the electrode clamp - TIG rigs don't hold electrodes in a clamp. The TIG process heats the metal with a torch in one hand, and the filler metal is added with the other.

5-90
So, you missed the TIG torch in the picture?

I've been looking at that for a few months. It doesn't take that much to convert a inverter based mig over to run a tig head. They and others actually sell converter units that allow you to use your existing mig as a tig. Not being familiar with the amperages of the average tig, I was wondering if it was too underpowered. I really like to use a tig on tubing. Soooooo much more control and a better result.

Well gosh and golly - I missed it! I thought it was an ancillary something-or-other...

I'd still be a bit sceptical about a $200 TIG rig for now - aren't there a good deal of controls involved in making a TIG work? Where in China is that thing made?

5-90

You can add a tig torch to almost any DC box. Century and a few others even had add on pulse boxes. I've seen them forsale on Ebay a few times.

I actually own the Smiley tools TIG/ARC/PLasma cutter combo on ebay. I have had it for about 6 months with no problems what so ever. It tigs like a dream and the plasma cutter is decent. I paid like $600 total but the guy sells a TIG unit for like $200 and it has a spark start button isted of scratch start. I make mostly Honda turbo manifolds with it but it works awesome for just about everything. I am just a hobby welder. I plan on making some parts for my XJ in the spring. If you wanna see the out come of the Ebay smiley tools you can see pics on my sight. www.FantomFabrications.com Its all Honda parts.

Back