• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 ZJ brakes + warn FF 5 on 5 1/2 underway...

HEP111

NAXJA Forum User
What to look out for? Got all the parts and wondering if theres anybody out here that has BOTH installed on their XJ. Any tips, hints or unexpected prob. that cropped up? Just a line or so as I'm sure I'll come to any and all problems when I get there... I'm excited to get it on and have been waiting to get ALL the parts together so I don't pull shafts twice, etc and duplicate efforts.... you get the idea.

Ohh, and for those that have the full floater for the D44, did any or all of ya leave the inner seal off (like the directions say you can) to get the oil to go down the whole lengh of the axle shaft... Opinions? I like the idea that the outer bearings will be lubed but as I do some deep water should I just use grease for the outer bearings and have double the seals to not let water in the diff? I do change out the diff's fluid should I be in water for a sustained period but like always I'm sure others have more first hand stories... so let me know gents!
Thanks for the help guys.

I didn't think Warn made a full floater kit that fit the XJ D44 rear. Other than that, no help here. I am working on building a full float HP D60 rear, but that inf. won't help here. Jeff

Well, I guess they do 'cause I have what looks to be a FF kit... If you look on Rusty's site that's where i got it (had a Credit)... thanks for the replys, keep 'em up!

ZJ disc rotors are drilled for 5 on 4.5 if memory serves...

and you are going to run a 5 on 5.5 flange?

hmmm

I'd truss the housing. The FF seems to load the housing a bit more than a semi-float. XJ rear 44's don't have the largest tubes to begin with, so a simple over the top truss would help keep things straight.

On the brakes, I'd use a front rotor from an F-150 if I wanted the largest brakes I could fit, or a CJ rotor for slightly smaller stuff. All depends on the offset of the hat on the rotor and where it lines up with your ZJ caliper.

All RIGHT! Thanks, Crash; and to those who responded... that's exactly the type of info. I needed... Now... should I wait and repost my front 'turdy q's later?? lol jk thanks for the advice 'gents!
scott

On your full floater... install both axle seals and use a good grease for the bearings. That way it doesn't take 5 qts of gear lube to fill the diff... I used the warn full floater kit on my 9" with explorer brakes and remachined the rotors to fit the hub and 5.5 bolt patern... No real big deal...check the photos in my sig...

Scott.

Crash: if your refering to the D 30 page you made, It's on my saved favorites and I have all the parts for what you recommended... I did it that way as BEFORE I read your recommendations I already had an ARB and 4.56's on my (spit) '30... WJ brakes and steering (plus a light foot) are going to be a bonus. Thanks to all the guys who tryed that combo out and did write ups.... Pics will be taken for the 5 on 5 1/2 etc for the community....

Thanks for the tip 'RC.. makes sense for the odd river crossing diff. oil change.... I'd rather replace 2ish qts. than 5 qts..... I just thought for towing, road trips, etc that the diff. fluid would be able to dissipate heat, live longer, etc with the extra capacity....

Allllll right

New question:

The supplied warn spindle that mounts onto the axle housing flange has a different bolt pattern than my cherokee 87 (or 89?) D-44... WTF!?

NOW, I guess I got sent the wrong kit as it seemsto be the warn TJ d-44 full floater kit I think. I just thought it was for a TJ or XJ, YJ etc. I know the D-44's are different but I guess Rusty sent me the wrong warn kit (go figure).... Can someone confirm that warn makes two different D-44 Rear floater kits? (ie a TJ, XJ etc???)Has anyone had this problem as only two bolts seem to line up which means I'd have to drill three in the supplyed warn spindle.... and I cant help but think warn has a spindle to mate to my 44 even though I know theres been a variety of 44 bolt patterns and such used... Hell out on my buddies 70's cj in the garage that im at his axle housing flange is six bolts... beuller??
thanks guys for any info

HEP111 said:
Allllll right

New question:

The supplied warn spindle that mounts onto the axle housing flange has a different bolt pattern than my cherokee 87 (or 89?) D-44... WTF!?

NOW, I guess I got sent the wrong kit as it seemsto be the warn TJ d-44 full floater kit I think. I just thought it was for a TJ or XJ, YJ etc. I know the D-44's are different but I guess Rusty sent me the wrong warn kit (go figure).... Can someone confirm that warn makes two different D-44 Rear floater kits? (ie a TJ, XJ etc???)Has anyone had this problem as only two bolts seem to line up which means I'd have to drill three in the supplyed warn spindle.... and I cant help but think warn has a spindle to mate to my 44 even though I know theres been a variety of 44 bolt patterns and such used... Hell out on my buddies 70's cj in the garage that im at his axle housing flange is six bolts... beuller??
thanks guys for any info

Warn designed the kit to work with the c-clip style 35 & 44 axle housings. So yes you have a different housing end on your XJ 44. You can either redrill the spindle or redrill the housing end to match. Don't bother trying to find a different spindle that will bolt up...they are all different... Including your buddies AMC 20 in his CJ...

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
I didn't think Warn made a full floater kit that fit the XJ D44 rear. Other than that, no help here. I am working on building a full float HP D60 rear, but that inf. won't help here. Jeff

Ha, I feel vindicated now! :) I didn't think Warn made a kit specifically for the XJ D44 rear. You may be able to modify the TJ kit to work though as was suggested. Jeff

Yea I guess that you have to drill as I talked to rusty and I was wrong in assumming that theres more than one type of spindle... it make sense if warn would just drill multible holes, don't ya think?? Ohh, and my buddies 70's cj has a 44 which is why I was confused to all the possible variations out there... oh well I guess drilling must commence!
thanks guys

Jeff 98XJ WI said:
Ha, I feel vindicated now! :) I didn't think Warn made a kit specifically for the XJ D44 rear. You may be able to modify the TJ kit to work though as was suggested. Jeff

Yes, they did...but for a short time. It wasn't popular and they didn't make very many of them. They still have the diagrams for them but it was like an act of Congress to get the spindles made. I just ordered some a couple months ago for a guy who bought a friend's old rear end. He was using the Caddi brakes on his, IIRC.

Right, I am pretty sure they did make some, but they were discontinued quite some time ago. Are you saying that you recently got a set of spindles with the XJ D44 end flange pattern in them from WARN? If so, I'm surprised. Jeff

ECKSJAY said:
Yes, they did...but for a short time. It wasn't popular and they didn't make very many of them. They still have the diagrams for them but it was like an act of Congress to get the spindles made. I just ordered some a couple months ago for a guy who bought a friend's old rear end. He was using the Caddi brakes on his, IIRC.

Back