• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the difference

fftrmedic

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to buy a Cat-Back exhaust system for my '92 4.0 XJ. The one I'm looking at says it's for '93-'96. Whats the difference between the exhaust systems of a '92 and the '93-'96? Gib

I think the change was in 94? They did away with the front square flange on the front of the cat and the down/crossover pipe. As far as I know the cat back is all the same from 87-99 or so. There may be some small difference in the length, of the out pipe for the cat. And possibly the type and location of the hangers.
I've also seen differences in after market mufflers and tail pipes, some are designed bassackwords. What used to be the ID of the connecting pipe, is now the OD of the connecting pipe. Walker is good for this.
I usually use a micrometer and the old tape measure to be sure before I take it home and remove the old pipe. The guy at the parts store will probably give you funny looks, but he is actually thinking, oh chit this guy knows his stuff.

Back