• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire sizes & capability

Matt98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there that much more offroad capabilty when jumping up to 35" tires over 33's? Is the added stress, worse gas mileage, worse steering, and brakes really worth the jump on a DD?

If you are going to 35's why not just get an extra set of wheels and have them mounted this way you can just put them on before you go wheeling. Do the sawp in your garage. That's what Im getting ready to do. This way you have the best of both worlds. and street/trail tires will last alot longer. Just a thought.

Matt98XJ said:
Is there that much more offroad capabilty when jumping up to 35" tires over 33's? Is the added stress, worse gas mileage, worse steering, and brakes really worth the jump on a DD?
Before you go to 35's consider
- upgrading steering
- maybe gearing
- upgrading drive train (axle shafts?)

Thats just the thing. I'm already running 35's but I'm thinking about dropping back down to 33's. I'm upgrading the 30 and the 44 with alloy axles, and I'll upgrade the steering as well. I would rather use 33's and the dana 30, than have to swap the front axle to run 35's. I figured the brakes would be a lot better on 33's as well. Oh yeah, I'm already running 4.56's and detroits front and rear. I'm just looking for the most reliable setup, while still using the front 30.

Matt98XJ said:
Thats just the thing. I'm already running 35's but I'm thinking about dropping back down to 33's. I'm upgrading the 30 and the 44 with alloy axles, and I'll upgrade the steering as well. I would rather use 33's and the dana 30, than have to swap the front axle to run 35's. I figured the brakes would be a lot better on 33's as well. Oh yeah, I'm already running 4.56's and detroits front and rear. I'm just looking for the most reliable setup, while still using the front 30.
If that's the case I'd get some 33" DD tires. THat way you'd be able to save the wear on the 35's and get better breaking as well as fuel efficiency.

so curious though to what you fella's think, how much difference will there be offroad? He has lockers front and rear. Lets assume full skids and he knows how to drive.

A couple of thoughts:

1. I personally believe that the 33 is a near perfect for a basic XJ (without replacing axles, stiffening frame, etc, etc.

2. I do not think that you will find a significant difference in capability off road between the two.

3. If you do have the axles, steering, brakes already setup for the 35's then why not go for it. If you do not, then I think you are asking for more problems than it is worth.

4. There is a big difference between 33" no name tires, and a 35" Super swamper.

5. I think you would find more difference in performance between tread patterns than the tire size.

6. Where are you wheeling?

Michael

Sloppy trails in WA. You know how it goes. I was thinking about just running a 33" Truxus, but I read in here somewhere that they are heavier than the 35" BFG's that I'm running now. My main concern is the axle strength on the 30. Everything else I can handle.

If your only concerned with the D30 axle strength then just carry spares. How many more shafts are you going to break with a 35" over a 33"? Maybe slightly more regular but should not be that comon with the bigger u-joint.

Or get a set of aftermarket shafts and you should be good to go. You already have the tires. The D30 can handle it if you are good to it.

Michael

i just went from 33's to q78's "35.5's" they will make a difference weather you will feel a big difference is how tuned into you truck you are. 2" is a lage difference in clearance but throttle can make up for it in some situations:laugh3:

Im running 35's and also considering going back to 33's just to put less strain on everything. My rig has 6.5" lift with SYE, 4.56's, D44 rear, Rusty's trac bar+ tie rod, etc... With that lift and 33" I should be able to stuff them way up in the well. Will only loose about one inch of clearance but everything else will be happy; U-joints, hubs, ball joint, axles, steering, tranny, mpg, brakes.....

What tires?

My old 33x12.5" bias TSL's were heavier, tougher on the axles, and almost as tall as most radial MT 35's.

33x15.5" SX's are axle killers, but much taller Q/78 TSL's (35.5x11") are less stressful.

Width and weight can kill axles, brakes, MPG & steering effectiveness, even whan it says 33" on the sidewall.

Matt98XJ said:
Sloppy trails in WA. You know how it goes. I was thinking about just running a 33" Truxus, but I read in here somewhere that they are heavier than the 35" BFG's that I'm running now. My main concern is the axle strength on the 30. Everything else I can handle.

I went directly from 33 boggers to 38.5sx's and never looked back - the amount of times I was dragging the belly out here went down dramaticaly... I am not saying to go and do this but I do still run the OEM 30 housing, carrier, and tubes up front...

Lock it up and go to a 35 tsl for the trail and save the 33's for the street - you will like the differance!

Matt

Back