• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tj shaft conversion

jslamerman

NAXJA Forum User
I have a pair of TJ shafts out of a 2004 Wrangler, including unit bearings. What parts mix/match (calipers/rotors/unit bearings) do I need to install them on an 89 Cherokee non disco housing. I also know that it is not possible to upgrade the older style outers to 4340, because they dont make them, so i think using the newer style unit bearing is required. Can I use the existing rotors and calipers, or do I have to buy the new stuff???

jslamerman said:
Actually, can I just use the newer shafts and unit bearings, along with the newer rotors, and older calipers??
I think you might have a problem with the unit bearing and the rotor and caliper spacing. I would try to get the knuckles and brake components to match in order to tak advantage of better brakes.
Otherwise than that, the outers should fit into your old unit bearings and that way you can reuse all the old components.

You will only be able to use the shafts with your current setup. In order to use the newer brakes you will need the following:

Unit Bearings (which you already have)
Rotors
Calipers
Knuckles
Might as well change out the Ball Joints while you're in there.

The newer calipers will not bolt up to early knuckles; early rotors will not fit on newer unit bearings.

Also you will need to make or have made a conversion brake line from SAE to Metric threads.

I speak from experience...too much experience!

Well, I have no idea what parts conglomeration I have, I have confused myself sensless. I have calipers with a cast in number that crosses at the parts store for an 89 Cherokee. My knuckles have a cast in mount for the calipers (which you guys say shouldnt be), and the rotors are definitely for an older style unit bearing, as they wont fit over the newer style stuff. Upon looking at the shafts, it certainly appears that I may indeed have the bigger u joints already, WTF????

jslamerman said:
Upon looking at the shafts, it certainly appears that I may indeed have the bigger u joints already, WTF????

Does your '89 have ABS? All ABS Cherokees came with 297-x shafts regardless of year.

GSequoia said:
Does your '89 have ABS? All ABS Cherokees came with 297-x shafts regardless of year.

I dont think so. Dont all the abs vehicles come with a "tone ring" near the knuckle??? It doesnt have a provision on it like that

You can use the newer style axles and bearings as long as you get the newer rotors. This will all work with your current knuckles and calipers.

Back