• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

revamp the interior for winter

mdl

NAXJA Forum User
Got a few questions about interior OEM swaps between years.

1) my steering wheel is worn to crap. Can i replace it with a later model one w/ cruise controll? How hard is it to install cruise controll? I can just swap the air bag i have in mine to the new wheel right? And when they say a "kit" im assuming their including the wheel? http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...e=JAU&Product_Code=MB1&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

2) Forget if i asked this before (Searched couldent find) can i put later model AC heater controls into an older model dash? I hate the dang knobs you gota slide.. its a real pain. Im thinking somthing like this http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...=JAU&Product_Code=lv33&Category_Code=CHEROKEE

3) I want to replace my dash bezel, not sure of what kind/style yet. Mines all scratched. Didnt see any other oem options so im curious as to where i can find some.

thanks

helix said:
Got a few questions about interior OEM swaps between years.

1) my steering wheel is worn to crap. Can i replace it with a later model one w/ cruise controll? How hard is it to install cruise controll? I can just swap the air bag i have in mine to the new wheel right? And when they say a "kit" im assuming their including the wheel? http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2...e=JAU&Product_Code=MB1&Category_Code=CHEROKEE
Don't know if the signals are same (my guess would be they are not): the cruise control goes to the comp and the varied resistance provided by each switch is what triggers the appropriate behaviour from the comp and te vehicle.

hm come to thnink of it did they even make a cruise control option for the older models? Oh well, if i cant get that in i guess ill put in a regular wheel.. its just that i make about 400 mile trips every weekend in the winter so the cruise control would be a deffinate plus.

helix said:
hm come to thnink of it did they even make a cruise control option for the older models? Oh well, if i cant get that in i guess ill put in a regular wheel.. its just that i make about 400 mile trips every weekend in the winter so the cruise control would be a deffinate plus.
Older models have it in a stalk on the steering column. What year is your jeep? Cause there are kits that you can purchase for various years and install them (afaik installing a complete kit isn't that hard: I did it on my 97, and know of someone who did it on a 96).

im supprised too.. haha thanks for the link. So my next question would be since im replacing my steering wheel, would i be able to put in one with the switches built in? looking for the clean look. Of corse this may be a stupid question because ive seen some cruise controll systems where the controll is w/ the wipers.

helix said:
im supprised too.. haha thanks for the link. So my next question would be since im replacing my steering wheel, would i be able to put in one with the switches built in? looking for the clean look. Of corse this may be a stupid question because ive seen some cruise controll systems where the controll is w/ the wipers.

Don't know if the signals are same (my guess would be they are not): the cruise control goes to the comp and the varied resistance provided by each switch is what triggers the appropriate behaviour from the comp and te vehicle.

I can give you the resitance values for each one of the signals on the 97+. If you can find someone that can measure for you the signals on a 96 you'd be set. Also if you do a 96 to 97+ conversion your harness will not fit so you will have to do some splicing there.

By the conversion do you mean the whole wheel or just the electonical aspect of the cruise control?

helix said:
By the conversion do you mean the whole wheel or just the electonical aspect of the cruise control?
AFAIK the wheel with the cruise in the wheel is a 97+ wheel (older had a stalk on the side). While the wheel itself should fit, you might have to tinker with the electrical to make it work (that's the conversion part :D).

Kejtar said:
AFAIK the wheel with the cruise in the wheel is a 97+ wheel (older had a stalk on the side). While the wheel itself should fit, you might have to tinker with the electrical to make it work (that's the conversion part :D).

What Remi said. With the newer steering wheel, you have the issue of the newer airbag getting along with the older module.

does anyone have any commecns about th heater controls? I detest the controls in the comanche, and I'd love to have te newer style.

Here is a '95 - '96 Wheel with Cruise
webimage001l.jpg

A '97 - '01
d4_4.JPG

Or you can do what I am attempting, and go '99 - '04 WJ / '03 - '05 TJ
772392_7.jpg

87manche said:
does anyone have any commecns about th heater controls? I detest the controls in the comanche, and I'd love to have te newer style.

you and be both :)

ok so at this point your saying that without splice and dice i wont be able to get the wheel with all the features in. I guess its still somthing to think about. Ether way looks like im in the hole about $200-$250 for the whole upgrade here with the wheel and the cruise controll. That i can justify.

as for the heater/ac controls i dont mind the splice and dice so long as it works all set. The only thing that would worry me about this swap would be the demensional differences and/or signal comming from them.. not sure if anyones ever done this swap so finding an answer may be trial and error

Kejtar said:
OOPS, I stand corrected. I could have sworn that the 95-96 used a stalk on the side.

oh ok i can live with that kind of button on my wheel.. It may be easier to just get another 96 wheel with the options rather than convert to another year..

i like that wood like bezel.. looks good. whos xj is that? very clean.

helix said:
oh ok i can live with that kind of button on my wheel.. It may be easier to just get another 96 wheel with the options rather than convert to another year..

i like that wood like bezel.. looks good. whos xj is that? very clean.

Just a basic Country Edition off of ebay. Those wodgrain bezels aren't hard to come by.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JEEP...012720155QQcategoryZ40017QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996...012445851QQcategoryZ40017QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

They also came in silver

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-9...011725146QQcategoryZ40017QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Back