• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky Jeep

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
About a week I was greeted by a nice puddle of water inside the cab. It was puddled up in the drivers side floorboard and when you press down more water comes out so it's in the insulation too. I finally got some time to take a look at it today more closely so I peeled the carpet and padding back and there is a TON of water in there I had a heat lamp on it all day and kept soaking it up with towels but its still soaked. Didn't do this last winter so it was a surprise.

When I pulled the carpet and padding up I was greeted by a nice strip of rust near the pedals. From further investigation the rust is right where a seam for the floorboards join together so this could be cause. Theres no water in the insulation on the firewall or kick panel so it seems unlikely the windshield is the cause but you never know. Could I get a massive puddle of water inside by water leaking through the floorboard seems under daily driving conditions? It seems unlikely but theres water only on the floor theres no signs of it dripping down the firewall or anything.

Heres some pics -

fcv8g4.gif

fcvaxc.gif

Anyone got any ideas or ways to check where this is leaking from?

TORX

Not sure were it comes from but this seems to be a fairly common issue with the XJ/MJ
I have checked everywhere on my MJ and it still get water after a heavy rain
You can find this issue talked about quite a bit on the web, some say it’s the door seal?
I coated my floor with rust bullet and replaced that plastic wrapped padding with regular pad. Still have not found the place that it leaks in!

I would guess that the water is coming in from the outside through that seam in the floor. Get a putty knife and rip up all of that seam sealer. The two panels have probably separated or rusted through.

I might also be a leaky windshield but that is low on the list.
Check the cowel area and make sure that is is clean.
Also there are a bunch of holes in the firewall above that spot, make sure that none of the grommets have failed.

katarn

sprinkle baby powder all around that area, then take a hose to it real well. The water should make tracks in the powder and lead you to the source. It's a bit messy to clean up, but it works well.

Water does not run up hill. Notice the rust goes up under the pedals. There are two places it can leak and cause water in that place, The first is where the steering and pedals go through the fire wall, the second is the most likely, the windshield. Pull the windshield trim and take a look. They make a thin rubber cement type sealer you can paint in there to take care of the problem. It won't hurt, even if it isn't them place.

In the old days, I would just take spray rubber cement and spray around the windshied, down in the void area and clean up the glass and paint with a swipe of lacquer thinner.

By the looks of the picture it looks like it could be running down the firewall, evidenced by the rust in the area of the clutch pedal although it could have "wick'd" up there by the carpet being wet. I'd get rid of the carpet, it acts like a sponge.

TORX said:
About a week I was greeted by a nice puddle of water inside the cab. It was puddled up in the drivers side floorboard and when you press down more water comes out so it's in the insulation too. I finally got some time to take a look at it today more closely so I peeled the carpet and padding back and there is a TON of water in there I had a heat lamp on it all day and kept soaking it up with towels but its still soaked. Didn't do this last winter so it was a surprise.

When I pulled the carpet and padding up I was greeted by a nice strip of rust near the pedals. From further investigation the rust is right where a seam for the floorboards join together so this could be cause. Theres no water in the insulation on the firewall or kick panel so it seems unlikely the windshield is the cause but you never know. Could I get a massive puddle of water inside by water leaking through the floorboard seems under daily driving conditions? It seems unlikely but theres water only on the floor theres no signs of it dripping down the firewall or anything.

Heres some pics -

fcv8g4.gif

fcvaxc.gif

TORX
I am having the same problem with my 01 XJ. Have you located your problem yet?

Same thing here, although mostly on the passenger side. XJ windshields leak like a sieve. Under the trim, mine looks like it was sealed by a drunk monkey. Best advice- get $0 deductable full glass ins. coverage and hope it breaks. It's a good idea to get it anyway if you run wooded trails which most of us do.

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing. I put a garden hose in over the front of the car and got up under tha dash with a flashlight. It turns out that one of the screws that holds down the plastic grate by the windshield wipers was screwed in too far, and had made a little hole in the void where the wiper motor is. Water would flow down into the void like it is supposed to, then go down the hole and right onto my floor. A spot of silicone on both sides and it is dry. I still get some leaking around the top of the windshield on the drivers side, but it is minor, not carpet soaking.

jth877 said:
Same thing here, although mostly on the passenger side. XJ windshields leak like a sieve. Under the trim, mine looks like it was sealed by a drunk monkey. Best advice- get $0 deductable full glass ins. coverage and hope it breaks. It's a good idea to get it anyway if you run wooded trails which most of us do.
SOAB! I'm having the same issue, a great big puddle after it rains. Just started two weeks ago. Ripped out the whole seat, the padding and have the carpet propped up, again, to let it dry. Time to REALLY investigate. This is REALLY annoying!

Been doing a search, and there's a $hit load of guys with leaky XJs. Mines coming from up in the corner, just on the edge of where the heater molding thing contacts the firewall, just before the front right edge. Have to go out on a warmer day and start running the water.

TORX said:
Could I get a massive puddle of water inside by water leaking through the floorboard seems under daily driving conditions? It seems unlikely but theres water only on the floor theres no signs of it dripping down the firewall or anything.

TORX

Been my experience that water that leaks in through seams in the floor and wheelwells from road spray always has a fine silt mixed with it, and makes it muddy under your carpet. Clean water, like yours, probably means it's leaking up higher. Also check for water leaking in from between the door and trim panels, the plastic moisture barrier may have come loose or is missing. I'd pull the carpet/insulation to let it dry( which takes forever!) and watch to see where the water is coming from. It's probably rusty because it has been leaking for a while.

Comanchedude said:
Not sure were it comes from but this seems to be a fairly common issue with the XJ/MJ
I have checked everywhere on my MJ and it still get water after a heavy rain
You can find this issue talked about quite a bit on the web, some say it’s the door seal?
I coated my floor with rust bullet and replaced that plastic wrapped padding with regular pad. Still have not found the place that it leaks in!

After removing the carpet, here's what I found on mine:

Rear sliding window corners, and along the bottom of the window opening where the body panels come together. Water would leak in, run along the edge of the rocker, and puddle in the front footwells. Was hard to find because the rear of the carpet never got wet, making me think the leak was in front.

Last edited:
Wow lots of replies sorry I haven’t replied, haven’t checked in on the thread in a while. As for my leak I took my windshield trim off and it was clogged with tree needles and small leaves that we got here in the NW. So I got all that cleaned out of the windshield area and put some sealant in the corner areas of the windshield, let the carpet dry out good and haven’t had any water turn up in the cabin anymore though I haven’t checked the underneath the carpet yet. As for trying to identify where the leaks are coming from follow the movement where rainwater would go put a hose on you roof and follow it down the rain gutters onto your windshield and any other route it takes. When you know the route the water takes go along and clean out everything in its way all the leaves and tree needles so it has an easy way to the ground. Take your time be patient and you will find the leak I thought mine was coming from the floor and it turned out to be the windshield you never know.

TORX

Back