• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front skid plate / plastic guard

godchaser

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 MJ. I recently lifted it 4.5 inches, and am asking if the front skid plate (just behind the front bumper) would do me more justice removed. Any opinions on if this is a needed plate? Would it look better removed? How about the plastic guard located next to it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do some weekend wheeling, but this is mainly my DD. Thanks in advance.

I will second the skid plate as a keeper
If you off road, the skid can help also it can deflect water from drowning the alternator
(if you haven’t relocated it to the top)

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards keeping it. It does look pretty beefy - for stock. The plastic is starting to fall off anyway, I'll just have to help it.

godchaser said:
Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards keeping it. It does look pretty beefy - for stock. The plastic is starting to fall off anyway, I'll just have to help it.
If you start to have overheating problems, put the plastic back on.

I took mine off for three reasons. 1} It weighs a lot (roughly 20 Lbs.) 2} Mine was just collecting road gunk and 3} I like being able to see the axle without lifting the truck anymore.

But in my case I rarely go wheeling and if I do get the chance to it is in one of the few spots I know my axle will be safe from impacts.

Back