• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear gears-no front

BillDozer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ with 74000 mi. on it and a rear from the junkyard in it. I just bought the truck so I dont know what hapened to the first one. I'm guessing the rear has a lot of miles on it because theres the inside pinion bearring has craped out. A friend of mine is helping me redo the whole thing and I'm thinking about putting 4.11 or 4.56 in. I dont know if I'm going 31's or 33's but I can tell you it's a auto and I have a 73' jet boat I I going to tow. Which gear would be the best choice? And is it ok to put those gears in the back and not in the front till after I get my lift and tires? (
and I save more money)

You can take the front Drive Shaft out and just regear the rear axle. As far as gear choices go, 31's=4.10's 33=4.56's.

I would also consider a transmission cooler from B&M or something since you are planning on towing with your XJ.

What kind of rear axle do you have? D35 or C8.25?

You don't even have to take the front shaft out.
just don't try and put it into 4wd. you'd have to be pretty drunk or stupid to forget that you don't have the correct gears up front.
Wackodrumr said:
You can take the front Drive Shaft out and just regear the rear axle. As far as gear choices go, 31's=4.10's 33=4.56's.

I would also consider a transmission cooler from B&M or something since you are planning on towing with your XJ.

What kind of rear axle do you have? D35 or C8.25?

i'd take that shaft out so you don't get a dumb ass attack and when you get stuck off road and think that "it wont hurt it if i don't use it too long". i dont have the money to regear the front yet and i've gone like 10,000 miles with the rear done and the front still stock. i took my drive shaft out and i've put it in 4L so i'd have a super low geared 2WD at times. its better than nothing when you need it and it'd suck to have to pull that shaft at a bad time. =) don't ask how i know that one!

super 2wd low.. awesome...

yeah im doing the same thing.. gonna re-gear the rear first.. then the front because getting ahold of that much money at once is hard for me!

also once i have the rear done... im commited to getting the front done.. just my screwed up mentality

If you lift it for 33's it won't be worth a darn for towing, power won't be a problem with proper gears, but control when pulling your boat will be hairy to say the least.
You would be fine with 31's and 2" lift max.

i think that towing experience is what is to consider.i have an 88 xj lifted to 6.5" with 33s 4.10 gears 5SPD nv3550 trans and dolly towed a nother 88 xj(stock height)from north carolina to south florida with not one bit of problems-except for gas mileage-so towing a small lightweight trailer with a 18ft boat u should have no problems if you know what to expect with the added load.and i was going 70 mph.

Last edited:
markaboo929 said:
i think that towing experience is what is to consider.i have an 88 xj lifted to 6.5" with 33s 4.10 gears 5SPD nv3550 trans and dolly towed a nother 88 xj(stock height)from north carolina to south florida with not one bit of problems-except for gas mileage-so towing a small lightweight trailer with a 18ft boat u should have no problems if you know what to expect with the added load.and i was going 70 mph.
Towing with a towbar is a whole different thing than pulling a trailer.

langer1 said:
Towing with a towbar is a whole different thing than pulling a trailer.

true, no weight on the hitch with a towbar, 300-500lbs with a trailer and boat i'd say. I used to tow our 2004 correct craft last summer. Its about a 23' boat i'd say, and thats when the jeep was stock. I had a really tough time in the mountains between NC and SC. I think you will need 4.56 def for towing and 33s, a tranny cooler is a must, and you might wanna bolt on some power to that 4.0, cus mine struggled. I know your boat is probably a good bit lighter being 5' shorter and a jet boat, but nonetheless, dont get cheap on it.

Back