• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

which automatic do i have??

Jimminyc

NAXJA Forum User
Just working the kinks out of this crawler and im not sure which automatic i have. anything i can look for? i looked around for a data plate on it and found nothing. Its an 89 with a 4.0. Not sure how to tell, i also wanted to know which is the better auto??

gotcha. Thanks for the quick input guys. You should come out here for some grand junction wheeling. Weve got Billings and 21 road becconing you!

Jimminyc said:
have you guys had good luck with the AW4? i hope so because im not taking it out till it breaks :)

best damn 4spd auto on the market STILL. I work for a wrecking yard....those are some of the slowest moving AT's there are.

If you look at shift lever you will see that 1-2 gears are the same position. The computer decides when to shift to and from 1-2. You can not lock it in either. So when trying to comprssion brake downhill in first after a certain point the computer will upshift to 2nd and you will start to gain speed. Also when trail riding in 2nd gear the computer will downshift to first, if you are in 4low and have low axle gears this sudden decrease in speed will put you into the windsheild.

This mod allows you to bypass the computer and lock the tranny in first or second(your choice). Very handy.

cLAYH said:
If you look at shift lever you will see that 1-2 gears are the same position. The computer decides when to shift to and from 1-2. You can not lock it in either. So when trying to comprssion brake downhill in first after a certain point the computer will upshift to 2nd and you will start to gain speed. Also when trail riding in 2nd gear the computer will downshift to first, if you are in 4low and have low axle gears this sudden decrease in speed will put you into the windsheild.

This mod allows you to bypass the computer and lock the tranny in first or second(your choice). Very handy.

Or you could have just found a rig with a 5-speed...

The AW4 is the closest thing to a bulletproof light-duty slush box I've seen anywhere. The only way I've seen better is Alison heavies, and things like that.

Not bad for a Toyota (it was also found behind the turbo Supra I6.)

I've seriously abused a few myself, without any trouble.

As far as that switch goes, it changes two things -
1) It modifies the shift points slightly (to maximise use of engine torque.)
2) It "softens" the shifts (the "Power" setting is more solid.)

The later AW4 was hardwired into the "Power" setting. It's better to leave your transmission in power - the solid shifts are actually easier for your clutches than the soft shifts, and that will help things last longer (300-500K instead of 200-300K...)

5-90

91 Jeep Project said:
Your rig has a AW4, it's a 4 Speed with Overdrive.
This is misleading. The AW4 has four (4) forward speeds, one of which is an overdrive. Calling it a "4-speed with overdrive" suggests five forward speeds. It is either a 4-speed, or a 3-speed with overdrive.

Eagle said:
This is misleading. The AW4 has four (4) forward speeds, one of which is an overdrive. Calling it a "4-speed with overdrive" suggests five forward speeds. It is either a 4-speed, or a 3-speed with overdrive.
I know it's 4 speeds/gears but when mine locks the converter in 4th it feels like 5th.

Back