• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Applying rtv, diff fluid change

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
What are the rules when letting this stuff cure on the diffs? I've heard to apply the bead on the cover and wait 2 minutes while it sets up, and then put the cover back on and hand tighten the bolts...........then come back later in a few hours and properly torque. Is that right?

I searched btw.......thanks.

I don't use the stuff on diff covers - I just make sure that the surfaces are very clean (Scotch-Brite is great for that) and use a paper gasket. No leaks, and easier to pull the cover off for the next change.

I'd use silicone if I had a drain plug, and didn't have to pull the cover every time to drain the housing - but it's just not worth the fight to me.

5-90

Follow the directions on the tube.
For red RTV it says to tighten the bolts down unti lhand tight, then wait an hour before torquieng. I usually tighten it down until I see it start to squeeze out the sides a little, then wait the hour. When I tighten it down the rest of the way there is a nice gasket there and little squeeze out.
I forgot to mention, I put the RTV on the diff itself. Then put the top bolt through the cover, and use it to line it up so I don't smear it.

I normally put it on, wait 15 minutes for it to skin and then assemble. Don't tighten so tight you squeeze it all out.

i've got the ultra black rtv by permatex, i'm assuming thats alright?

i was gonna put a little around the drain plug as well to keep it from leaking like it does, is that ok? The plug is in fine shape, i would fill the diff up to 1/2" below the plug but i can't see inside the diff when i'm filling it........

On some of the new RTV,s you don,t wait.Smear and assemble.I have been using the "Ultra" line grey,black,or red take your pick.
Wayne

5-90 said:
I don't use the stuff on diff covers - I just make sure that the surfaces are very clean (Scotch-Brite is great for that) and use a paper gasket. No leaks, and easier to pull the cover off for the next change.

I'd use silicone if I had a drain plug, and didn't have to pull the cover every time to drain the housing - but it's just not worth the fight to me.

5-90
Paper is nice... but you're more likely to leak if you peel the cover or "misshape" it on the trail. RTV setup though will be more forgiving in those situations (still might leak but not as badly).

True - but when I finally set up those two D44's I've got 'round back (or just trade them for a pair that needs less work...) I plan to make a reinforcement for the cover anyhow - or just a stronger cover with a greater fluid capacity. Can't be too hard...

5-90

i did some searching on jeepforum, someone mentioned a tsb warning against the use of black rtv because it might hold up well in contact with gear oil???

anyone else heard of this?

I've got a tube of black and a tube of copper. both just say do not use in areas that are in contact with gasoline. diff lube should be fine.

Back