• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aquired D44 (rear) Now What?

aroncull

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so now that i have the axle, what are the things i am missing here?

It is a Dana 44 Open, with 3.55 gears and is complete end to end with ebrake cables out of an 87 cherokee. Has the u bolts and plates and shock mounts and you get the picture..

Going onto a
1997 XJ sport, replacing the D35.....

I am not a mechanic by anymeans, but bolt ons are easy and i am trying to step it up a bit here with the axle as far as the skill level goes....

1. Open the diff and make sure it looks good, no damage to the gears ect...
2. Replace the gear lubrication and see if the seals are all good.
3. Pull the drums and do the brake work, have the drums machined if necc, replace the shoes and check the cylinders..

(side note) I would Of course like to do the Disk brake conversion but i am hoping that having the drums machined and new pads would be alot cheaper then the conversion. then do the conv. later, along with gears... and locker$

4. use oven cleaner and sanding to clean and prep the axle.
then paint the crap out of it.

5. have buddy come and help and mount the axle.... whole other list of steps..

anyways bieng like i said NOT A MECHANIC... i thought it would be good to get some advice, tips, suggestions, and otherwise good brain food for the process from those of you who are mechanics or have done this before ect....

thanks

Aaron

Drives a jeep and is not a mechanic? That could get expensive!
But really, if you're not in a hurry to change the axle out you have a great opportunity to learn the basics of being a shade tree mechanic. Since you have the axle and it's not installed under a vehicle, take some time to get to know your axle. Learn the proper names and functions of all of the components. Take it completely apart and put it back together again. Piss your wife off by spending more time with "that stupid axle" than her. Buy some tools if you haven't already. Sears has good sales after Christmas . Just remember, cheap tools suck.
If you're in a hurry, invite some friends over who know what they're doing, put a case of beer on ice and swap that sucker. You will need to have your drive shaft shortened, buy new u bolts to attach the axle to the springs, and probably a couple of other things.
Good luck

It's a close-to-dropin replacement, but has come up a number of times here. You'll need new u-bolts for sure. PM Waverous (Chris) on this board or go to ORI in Centennial when you want it regeared or work done on it. I did the swap into my '96 last year and can probably arrange a time to look at whatcha got and see if you need a hand. http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/dana44.html

Got a lift on the '97 or is it still stock height?

Thanks for the replies guys!

I have a 4 inch lift (maybe 4.5)
and the rear packs are AAL and shackles.....

I am hoping to start working on it soon!

Thanks for the offer to help!
I will contact you!!!!!

Aaron

ok so i got all the "other" crap done to my jeep that i needed to and am coming back around to the axle sitting in the garage..

I wanted to clarify a few things..

1. Will i need new U bolts? I read that i may not and i read that i will..

2. I have a 4.5" lift will i have to get a new drive shaft or will i not know until the axle is mounted?

3. what about brakes? Will the E-brake work without modification?

4. Yes i am an axle swapping Noob, sorry for the noobness.

5. yes i did search and yes i did read some of the thousand or so threads here and on the Google search i did thank you very much......

lastly...Currently I have a AAL's and they are pretty well sprung and would like to replace them with some RE leafs..... was thinking that maybe i should swap out the leaf packs at the same time as i do the axle swap and just wait unitl i can get the packs... but that getrs me thinking that i f go that route i will of course have to get my SYE and the driveshaft and possibly new shocks in the rear to...hmmm sorrry sorta thinking out loud i guess...

Is there anything i am missing on the swap if i just do the axle?

U-bolts are the same size for a 35 and 44.The only reason to replace them is age/use. You could re-use 20 yr old bolts and save a coupla $$ buy why take a chance.
Wayne

ok..thanks
any word on the driveshaft?
thanks
aaron

E-brake cables-what you have should work,they all have the same mount/cable end.
The 44 has a longer pinion by 1/2-3/4" so your shaft will be ok with the lift you have.But you might save up for the SYE/DS as you will want it in the future.
Wayne

Awesome! thank you and yes i will certainly get an SYE eventually..

I'd still do the disc conversion, one of my sons friends did a D35 on a TJ. Took him about 4 hours for both sides. He got the rotors, calipers and backing plate from a junk yard, cost $20. Biggest hassle is pulling the axles out to remove the old plate and install the new one...

D35 disk brakes on a D44? Or am i missing something....
I have read some walkthrough's and writeups.. but i thought you needed the crown vic disks and or the TSM MFG kits...

I also looked into using the disks from the newer ZJ's 35's too...
so i guess im missing something??
or am i really tired right now..:shiver:

Back