• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aftermarket coolant guage

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
My 93, 4.0 is stock with a dummy light so I want to get an aftermarket temp guage. Anyone have any experience/issues with converting? Where can I locate my current temp switch? Also, does the new guage come with a new switch to replace mine?

Yes, I saw the write ups on that, but I'm cheap!
I have a hard time paying $15 for an aftermarket temp guage, let alone paying dealer for new, or messing with junk yards

An aftermarket electric gauge will work,sender will fit in the stock hole on head.
I mounted mine in the blank space between the inst.cluster and radio.
Wayne

you can also screw your temp sensor into the engene block behind your exaust manafold. You will need a specal sized square socket to remove the plug though. Its bigger than 3/8 but smaller than 3/4. Not sure what size. I bought mine from the Cornwell tool truck guy.

Daveisdabomb said:
My 93, 4.0 is stock with a dummy light so I want to get an aftermarket temp guage. Anyone have any experience/issues with converting? Where can I locate my current temp switch? Also, does the new guage come with a new switch to replace mine?
If your light still works read this entire thread for idea's on a manual gauge, you can hook it into your heater hose......
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60597&page=1&pp=15&highlight=manual+temp+gauge
Page # 3-post 38 is the way I did my '91.(thank's to JEONLYEP
icon14.gif
)
To keep the heater hose in a straight line you will have to use a 3/4" T or the sender will bottom out in it.
Suggestion: if you do this, install it so the sender goes in somewhere from.... going in from the bottom to horizonal, to avoid an area where air MIGHT get trapped.
So... are you even more confused now???
lol.gif
Iam not too good at explaining things.
goofus.gif

There were some pics that showed the install but they are gone now. I would post some but my digital is busted. :(

Last edited:
so I bought a guage, but had to take it back. Turns out the thread size on the temp sender is only 1/8. So the temp probe is larger than that, so it won't fit in there. Has anyone put the temp probe somewhere else? I don't want to mess with the coolant sensor though. Is there a plug in the radiator or something?

say drifto, I think I'll go the heater hose route too. Does that seem to give accurate readings? Where in the hose did you put it in, towards the control valve, or up front?

I put mine in the thermostat housing and ran the wires up t the rad and then around to a firewall grommet. It works like a champ. The only suggestion I have is to drill a small hole (one of the first 3 drill bits in a set) sized hole in the thermostat itself to allow a small amount of flow onto the sender before the thermo opens. If you need a better description, just shoot me an email <[email protected]>

Daveisdabomb said:
so I bought a guage, but had to take it back. Turns out the thread size on the temp sender is only 1/8. So the temp probe is larger than that, so it won't fit in there. Has anyone put the temp probe somewhere else? I don't want to mess with the coolant sensor though. Is there a plug in the radiator or something?
Can't you just use a 1/4x1/8 bushing?

Daveisdabomb said:
say drifto, I think I'll go the heater hose route too. Does that seem to give accurate readings? Where in the hose did you put it in, towards the control valve, or up front?
I would say it does give an accurate reading due to the flow of coolant is constant weather the T-stat is open or closed.
Its about 2 to 2 1/2 inches from the valve. I put the hose barbs in the "T" so the flow of coolant makes a 90 degree turn (right where the hose turns) and the sender/probe is in a straight line to the flow of the coolant.
I dont have access to a working digital camera right now, but I can try to borrow one later today and get a pic if you want. ;)

langer1 said:
Can't you just use a 1/4x1/8 bushing?
Thats what I thought. The sender/probe is too big to fit the 1/8 inch hole.
At least on the gauge I got.

Last edited:
yep, can't reduce it with fittings, the temp bulb is too large. I'm either gonna look for one with a small temp probe that will fit in the 1/8 hole, or do the coolant hose route. I don't want to mess with the t-stat housing because the coolant sensor is in the way. A pic would be awesome!
thanks

Back