• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another dumb rock rail question

mwm

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I searched around and found a crap load of rock rail builds but I didnt hear much about the mounting. Im probably ganna mount mine to the frame with 2 arms and 4 bolts at each one, Are you guys using self taping bolts or just bolting it straight through the frame with like a 8" bolt?
I already have like 18ft of 2x3 1/4" metal im makin mine out of but i havent figured out how im ganna bolt it on.
Thanks

At JCRoffroad we use 3/8" self-threading bolts. 4 per leg, 8 per side. There is 0 movement of the sliders with the pinch seam bolted up also.

Also if anyone is interested our Stage 1 sliders are on sale for $155 till Monday the 7th :thumb:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL1&Category_Code=XJS

st1full.jpg

mounted.jpg

monkeyevil said:
At JCRoffroad we use 3/8" self-threading bolts. 4 per leg, 8 per side. There is 0 movement of the sliders with the pinch seam bolted up also.

Also if anyone is interested our Stage 1 sliders are on sale for $155 till Monday the 7th :thumb:
http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=XJSL1&Category_Code=XJS

st1full.jpg

QUOTE]

i put a set of your rock rails on a few months ago. I'm really happy with them, but a few complaints i would do differently. On the mounting arms, the two lower holes on each plate were too low. They ended up lining up with the angled portion of the "frame" rails. Thus, it was basically impossible to drill a hole into that angled part that was still parallel to the ground. If you could make the bottom part of that plate match the angle of the rail, it would make like easier. I ended up having to drill new a new hole in all 4 mounting plates just to get 3 bolts in them. Other than that, i'm happy with them, and we eventually got them on, an they paid for themselves about 10 times over at tellico. Lot of people ask me where i got them. Good product.

Awesome thanks man. Love your sliders to. I started cutting mine today. They are 58" long 3x2 1/4" tubing..haha..What did u use for the arms on yours? I have enough 2x3 to make arms to the frame to but this shit is HEAVY so id rather make the arms out of something else. And i hear its hard to line them with the frame becuz the frames on a bit of an angel?
Thanks

Rock slider won't stiffen the unbody. Use what ever material you have or see the need for. Self tapping screws work well. If you really need hardcore stuff, drill through and sleeve inside the frame rails. Here are the rock rails I built. They bolt into the framerail where it is extra thick.
standard.jpg

orig.jpg

The real strength in rock rails isn't the frame mount.
It's the pinch seam mount that takes almost all the stress.
A rock rail is basically a lever arm with the frame mount being the pivot end. Push up on the skid end and the pinch seam mount is what holds the weight.
That's why I recommend using either angle or box tube as your pinch seam mount to spread that force over a greater area (the floor pan).
Using just 1/4" thick plate to screw to the pinch seam puts all the load on the 1/4" pinch seam mounting holes.

mwm said:
Awesome thanks man. Love your sliders to. I started cutting mine today. They are 58" long 3x2 1/4" tubing..haha..What did u use for the arms on yours? I have enough 2x3 to make arms to the frame to but this shit is HEAVY so id rather make the arms out of something else. And i hear its hard to line them with the frame becuz the frames on a bit of an angel?
Thanks

You can use 1" x 3" x 3/16" or 1" x 3" x 11 gauge... both will handle the load just fine. The thicker it is the more dent resistance it is.

You don't want to use 2x3 because it will force you to mount the outside rail 1" off the rocker.

No the uni-frame isn't 90deg to the floorpan. Easiest way is the pre-make all your plates and clamp them to the uniframe (about 36" apart and you will hit both of the double wall spots.) Jack the outer rail up with a jack where you want it. Measure and cut your legs and tack them in place. Measure and cut your pinch seam attachment and tack that in place. Then pull it all down and finish weld/paint :D

Back