• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odd Power Wiindow Problem

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1990 XJ with power windows. After a pretty rough off road trip I began to experience problem operating the power windows. They work intermittently. I find I can not raise or lower any of the windows when this problem occurrs. Frequently I can turn off the engine and the windows will work again after turning the ignition switch back on. I have checked the window lock button and it is in the unlocked position. This evening the windows won't work no matter what I try. Fortunately they are up. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

Most power window problems are caused by broken wires where they go from the door jamb to the door. Constant flexing ends up causing metal fatigue in the copper wire.

Thanks for the help. I am not familiar with how to access the area where the wires may be chaffed or broken. Where would I look for assistance?

chilibill said:
Thanks for the help. I am not familiar with how to access the area where the wires may be chaffed or broken. Where would I look for assistance?
the little rubber boot you see when you open the door. Pull it out on one end. real easy. Also remove the kick plate on the driverside also easy. You'll see the harness.

Back