• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper replacement

BDHershey

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. I'm looking to replace my wrecked factory rear bumper, possibly with an aftermarket unit. The one I'm looking at is usually mounted without the factory end caps. I guess it could be done with them though. Other than the few bolts I saw holding them to the facory bumper, how do the end caps mount to the quarter panels? How to remove them? Can I see some pictures? I'm kind of concerned that with them removed the rear of the vehicle will look strange. I don't have a lift or anything, and this is a daily driver. I'm not looking to do serious rock crawling or anything. Just replace my factory bumper, with a new one. I like the aftermarket ones because they have receiver hitches and are stronger. I do hunt and the extra strength may come in handy if I get stuck. Thanks for your help!

-Hershey

The 97+ has the returns on the side with the additional bracket riveted on the fender.Heres the one Im working on for my 95.
rear%20bump2.jpg

RCP,

The endcaps attach to a piece riveted to the quarter panel? So if you remove them there is a bracket still riveted to the quarter panel?

-Hershey

BDHershey said:
RCP,

The endcaps attach to a piece riveted to the quarter panel? So if you remove them there is a bracket still riveted to the quarter panel?

-Hershey
Yes,on the 97+.

You building or buying? If you're buying, I just bought a rear bumper from http://ww.jcrofroad.com its the stage 2 rear bumper. The rear brackets mount directly to the frame, eliminating the weak bumper brackets. (JCR's rear brackets are like the ones from RCP's post). This bumper is extremely tough, I took it out for a few test runs with my bro's 2004 Chevy 2500 HD. I made several 'attempts' to rip that big azz truck outta the mud with my jeep and never had a problem with it at all. the clearance on it is great. I put it on and took a couple of pics, you can see them here

http://www.crawfishdesigns.com/bfnaft.htm

As you can see in the first pic, there was a gap under the tailights, quick fix with a few pieces of square tubing(bottom pic). Keep that in mind if you're building your own.

about those end caps, they're mounted to the bumper. If you pull the bumper off from the brackets, they'll come with it. Although they may have another bolt somewhere else, I don't think they do. Mine were so beat to hell it's possible

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting that rear stage 2 bumper. I like the idea with the tie in brackets but was wondering if that sticks out at all past your body. It looks real wide from the back. I was also thinking about getting the stage 1 front bumper. If you could get more pictures that would help, thanks.

I like the way those look. I think I'm eventually going to get those. I was thinking about the one with the bar on the front bumper though. What did you paint the bumpers with?

I think we kinda hijacked BDHershey's thread here, I'm sorry. Well, JCR can custom make the front hoop for you, which is what I would've had done because I don't really like them in that style. Just draw somethin up and order it that way. Paint was Dupli-Color black sandable primer, few coats, sanded smooth. 2 light coats of Dupli-Color semi-gloss Acrylic Enamel(I think) paint, 1 wet coat to finish. More info?

Any pics (front and rear) of how they attach(bracketry)?

There was a little problem with the way the two bumpers came, I almost forgot about it. There is a metal plate that is tacked to the main bumper to close the gap between the bumper and the vehicle. It is purely cosmetic, however, I found it unattractive, so I just finished the weld, grinded it smooth and went to painting. The Rear bumper attaches directly to the frame, See RCP's rear bracket(4 holes, 1/4 steel) on the first page of this thread. That pic is about as close as I have of the rear, here's a link to see the front bumper bracket(3rd pic on page):

http://www.crawfishdesigns.com/frontbump.htm

Back