• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew Magnaflux

I have some VERY powerful electro-magnets- they are used to hold steel security doors shut, I was wondering if its feasable to take their coils out, encase them and fit some handles and buy the powder. I also have the transformer (125AC to 24 vdc I think). I could have a magnaflux machine for virtually nothing. Does anyone have experience with this sort of stuff and think that it would work or that it would not work? Thanks.

BTW if this is in the wrong forum by all means move it- I thought "hmm... fabrication tools...well I'm trying to fabricate a tool..."

Might work - although I usually use "dye-check" kits for quick checks. They use a penetrating dye - you clean the part to test, spray on the die, allow it to sit for a bit, clean the surface, and spray on a developer. The dye which makes it into any cracks shows up brightly, and you've located the crack. Works well for me, and fits neatly into a toolbox for field service. They're pretty easy to find - if you can't get them at your local, check with MSC Direct or McMaster-Carr.

The only problem I'd have with the Magnaflux is the electrical requirements - Professional Gouging & Embezzlement already gets enough of our dosh as it is...

I'd still be interested in hearing about your experiences, tho!

5-90

Ive built several magnaflux type machines in the last 30 years. I wound the coils myself and designed the armature for the parts I was checking. I made one for cranks, one for rods, one for axles. Its not real rocket science to do. I've been thinking of building one to use before and after I cryo treat axles and ujoints. I've found that applying the field from one to the other works best. Local fields do not work as well.

Actually, 5-90 before you had mentioned it, I was going to get the penetrant dye kit- and build the magnetic machine also since aluminum stuff needs to be checked with the penetrant dye anyway. I won't be doing it until I have time (after Christmas) but I'll keep you posted.

Incidentally, the magnets themselves were from a business that had an office where large amounts of cash were handled and steel security doors- both magnetically and physically could be closed so you couldn't get in unless they wanted you to (my dad has a construction/tenant remodeling business he grabbed them. Theyre designed to not use a lot of electricity so that they will operate off batteries. This is accomplished by applying the magnetic field to a large surface area. Its an old system, the battery pack- you could pretty much arc-weld with it (it died). I'm still going to check the usage at the meter but I bet the professional magnaflux machines draw more current.

Years ago, I got these magnets for a high school science fair, to study the effect of magnetic fields on animals. I raised brine shrimp and had these big electromangets around their tank. They lived only 2/3 as long as the control group in all of the tests, kindof makes you think about living near power lines :wierd: (which was a big controversy around here at the time and inspired the idea).

Thanks to both of you guys.

I am familiar with those magnets. They should probably work. The task is to find out what voltage they need. Do you remember? If you need any help or electrical advise, or a source for parts, feel free to BC me. If you can get it to work, a tutorial for the masses would be real cool. Its a great idea.

Back