• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's leaking

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I've noticed over the past few months that my xj has a fine mist of some oily type deposit sprayed all over the back hatch and window. Even after cleaning it, the spots come back. What could leak and then specifically be sprayed all over the back window and hatch as such?

Occasionally the output seal on my aw4(2wd) begins to leak and I've replaced it like eleventybillion times. Still, my transmission always seems to loose fluid. But if its dexron being sprayed all over the back wouldn't it eat through the paint? There seems to no damage to the finish other than the usual oxidation.

Rear differential leakin? My buddies truck started doin it and it turned the back of his white dodge, tire black.

What else is wet underneath? I've noticed leaks from the engine (rear main seal, valve cover, or oil filter adapter), transmission or t-case will all fog the rear window. It's a matter of ID'ing the source because the aerodynamics of the XJ will coat the rear window with anything wet under the Jeep.

That kinda what I was expecting Yucca.

I have noticed that my axle is does appear to be wet in certain places, like where the tubes meet with the pumpkin. Is this a normal source of a leak?

DeftwillP said:
I've noticed over the past few months that my xj has a fine mist of some oily type deposit sprayed all over the back hatch and window. Even after cleaning it, the spots come back. What could leak and then specifically be sprayed all over the back window and hatch as such?

Occasionally the output seal on my aw4(2wd) begins to leak and I've replaced it like eleventybillion times. Still, my transmission always seems to loose fluid. But if its dexron being sprayed all over the back wouldn't it eat through the paint? There seems to no damage to the finish other than the usual oxidation.

Try tranny fluid,could be a bad fitting,a line rubbing or a leaking hose .
Wayne

Back