• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speakers

98XJDMB

NAXJA Forum User
i'm not one to rattle windows, and blair obnoxious music, but the stock speakers have to go. at first i was thinking, just put something cheap in, anything will be better than what i have. but, whats a few dollars especially when i have a very nice alpine head unit. (i got it a few years back, but it puts out 60W x 4... heres one for sale on e-bay: Alpine CDA-7873) i went on the crutchfield and was just looking around and saw these:
h107db525.jpeg

Polk db525 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

the nice thing about them is:
Don't limit yourself to only using these speakers in your car — they've passed tough environmental testing that certifies them for marine use as well.
so they can take some abuse and moisture.
According to the "What fits my car?" thing on crutchfield they should fit just fine, and from what i remember they are the right size.

What are some other good speakers i should look at? these are more on the top end of the $$$ i'd like to spend, but i think for 4 speakers i'll cap it at $200 without tax. TIA

98XJDMB said:
i'm not one to rattle windows, and blair obnoxious music, but the stock speakers have to go. at first i was thinking, just put something cheap in, anything will be better than what i have. but, whats a few dollars especially when i have a very nice alpine head unit. (i got it a few years back, but it puts out 60W x 4... heres one for sale on e-bay: Alpine CDA-7873) i went on the crutchfield and was just looking around and saw these:
h107db525.jpeg

Polk db525 5-1/4" 2-way car speakers

the nice thing about them is:

so they can take some abuse and moisture.
According to the "What fits my car?" thing on crutchfield they should fit just fine, and from what i remember they are the right size.

What are some other good speakers i should look at? these are more on the top end of the $$$ i'd like to spend, but i think for 4 speakers i'll cap it at $200 without tax. TIA
Take a look at Pyramid, pretty darn good for the money.

The Polks are nice, I run 5 1/4 fosgate 2 ways all the way around. One suggestion, buy some polyfill and put it in the mounting areas behind the speakers when you put them in the doors / back hatch. It will make the speakers sound bigger and help with vibration noise. HTH

~Monkey.

i got those same polks in the front. sound great to me, i cna crank them if i want and ive never had any problems with them. IMHO they stand up great to cold, heat, moisure, and vibrations

As Langer1 said, watch out for mounting depth. I didnt think of that when I got new speakers for the front doors on my 98, and now my driver window doesnt go all the way down, it stops about an inch from the bottom when you hear the "clunk" of the glass touching the speaker.

If you want some good equipment, then go to ebay and just read stats. I have kicker pannels down where my feet are sporting 5.25 components from audiobahn and there the higheset rated at 120 RMS watts at 260 peak! I picked them up for $40 plus shipping. The doors will get 6.1/2 components as well. Then the rear doors are set up to fit a 6.1/2. mid range along with another pair of 6.1/2 in the rear ceiling.

All in all i have 8 in car speakers, 8 tweeters and one 10" sub that puts out 900 rms watts, 1800 peak and a big amp for it. Audiobauhn makes some serious subs and this 10 incher has a double stacked 180oz magnet, two 3" voice coils, all chrome with flames, locking terminals etc. I run a 2 channel amp into it because the speaker has 2 sets of terminals to run it at 4 ohms stable and its bridged. Some is on order and some i have but man,,,, two 4 channel 1000 watt amps and a 2 channel 100 watt amp for the sub!!!

Now thats playing nicely and i got it all real cheap too!!

LittleAnthony88 said:
If you want some good equipment, then go to ebay and just read stats. I have kicker pannels down where my feet are sporting 5.25 components from audiobahn and there the higheset rated at 120 RMS watts at 260 peak! I picked them up for $40 plus shipping. The doors will get 6.1/2 components as well. Then the rear doors are set up to fit a 6.1/2. mid range along with another pair of 6.1/2 in the rear ceiling.

All in all i have 8 in car speakers, 8 tweeters and one 10" sub that puts out 900 rms watts, 1800 peak and a big amp for it. Audiobauhn makes some serious subs and this 10 incher has a double stacked 180oz magnet, two 3" voice coils, all chrome with flames, locking terminals etc. I run a 2 channel amp into it because the speaker has 2 sets of terminals to run it at 4 ohms stable and its bridged. Some is on order and some i have but man,,,, two 4 channel 1000 watt amps and a 2 channel 100 watt amp for the sub!!!

Now thats playing nicely and i got it all real cheap too!!
But if you don't start paying more attention your maintenance your going to be listening out in your driveway.

98XJDMB said:
is there a way to stuff that poly fill in the rear speaker thing attached to the ceiling?

I am not familiar with the mount, but as long as you can stuff the enclosure without impeding the travel of the voice coil / surround you are good with it. it really makes a noticable difference.

~monkey

langer1 said:
But if you don't start paying more attention your maintenance your going to be listening out in your driveway.

I know your helping me in the other thread and i appreciate it very much! BUT, trust me, my money will go first to fixing the t-case problem before i buy any other stereo equipment!!
Besides, i was just replying to his thread and let him know that with car audio, anything is possible to do if you know what your doing and have the cash and smart shop. I do all my own work and heres a pic of the front speakers, BUT i have yet to cut the hole for the door speaker. A 6.5 will sit flush against the diamond plating allowing more depth to fit it even with a larger magnet. The speaker will match the other component speaker for a good look as well!!

fbi8w2.jpg

2yellowmonkeys said:
I am not familiar with the mount, but as long as you can stuff the enclosure without impeding the travel of the voice coil / surround you are good with it. it really makes a noticable difference.

~monkey

X2, stuff some sound dampering "cotton" around the edges to seal up the air-way and you will get alot better sound!

LittleAnthony88 said:
I know your helping me in the other thread and i appreciate it very much! BUT, trust me, my money will go first to fixing the t-case problem before i buy any other stereo equipment!!
Besides, i was just replying to his thread and let him know that with car audio, anything is possible to do if you know what your doing and have the cash and smart shop. I do all my own work and heres a pic of the front speakers, BUT i have yet to cut the hole for the door speaker. A 6.5 will sit flush against the diamond plating allowing more depth to fit it even with a larger magnet. The speaker will match the other component speaker for a good look as well!!

fbi8w2.jpg

bling bling

but it looks good

I found a pair of Infinity component 5.25s on closeout at Circuit City for $99/pair. I was even able to use the factory tweeter location for the new tweeter. They sound pretty good considering I'm still using the factory "Infinity" amp (for the moment). It sure beats the blown factory speakers that were it the XJ when I bought it... :laugh3:

in my opinion. Jeeps arent made for the Audiophile. I think Focal is a little over the top for jeeps. A good middle of the road comp system will do just fine. With all the windows, the last thing you want to worry about is a $700 set of Utopias getting stolen.

Back