• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE hack 'n' tap SYE

jeep_87_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
can any one explain to me how rubicon expresses "Hack 'n' Tap" works? what does it replace? what do u cut up and tap into? does it require a great deal of skill to put the kit on? is it effective? dont try to talk me into a REAL short stub SYE kit or even a Atlas because if i had the money i would but one in instead of cosidering a budget SYE kit , hell money dont grow on trees lol .....or at least not on trees in IL ..........

You trim down the output shaft to a specified length. Drill & tap a hole in the center of it. Then use an adapter (the pice your buying) to connect a C/V drive shaft (you'll need that too) to the transfer case. You'll also need shims for the rear axle (go between the springs and pad) to aline the pinion to with in -2*-3* of the new driveshafts angle.

You should shearch, this has been covered before

RCP Phx said:
If your jeep is an 87,your going to pay just as much(close anyway) to the price of the "HD" PORC kit.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/03_mar/RE_SYE/slip-yoke.html
UNLESS you use a TJ mainshaft and tailhousing like I did, which are abundant. Most jeepers around here give them away after installing a HD SYE. This allows you to use the $80 H&T as opposed to the $180 unit.

Keep in mind the PORC SYE is only $175 shipped, it's the HD replacement shaft and tailhousing.

Bounty Hunter said:
UNLESS you use a TJ mainshaft and tailhousing like I did, which are abundant. Most jeepers around here give them away after installing a HD SYE. This allows you to use the $80 H&T as opposed to the $180 unit.
Unless you have immediate access to one then it's really not worth it, IMHO.
Keep in mind the PORC SYE is only $175 shipped, it's the HD replacement shaft and tailhousing.
There ya go. :)

I agree, but I'm about kneedeep around here in TJ 231 parts.

Keep in mind the HS SYE is about 2"-3" shorter than a H&T if you want every benefit of a longer driveshaft possible, not really as much an issue in XJ's as it is SWB jeeps.

If I've learned one thing with this Jeep, it's that trying to save half the cost of doing it right in the short term, will cost twice as much to repair the damage I caused by doing so, in the long run. I wish I had just bought the right SYE to begin with, I've spent a fortune replacing and rebuilding because I skimped in the begining.

Save up, do it right, do it once.

jeep_87_cherokee said:
can any one explain to me how rubicon expresses "Hack 'n' Tap" works? what does it replace? what do u cut up and tap into? does it require a great deal of skill to put the kit on? is it effective? dont try to talk me into a REAL short stub SYE kit or even a Atlas because if i had the money i would but one in instead of cosidering a budget SYE kit , hell money dont grow on trees lol .....or at least not on trees in IL ..........
You do realize you are going to have to get a drive shaft anyway you go right?

and if you do it, make sure you get the hole tapped in to the center of the shaft.. other wise youw ill be buying the shaft again anyway...

I saw a money tree in my rear view mirror the other day the money was flapping in the wind and screeming for me to come pick it... but then the ahole saw me and hit his bmw's brakes hard... and i never felt the impact. so no money tree for me :cry:

Last edited:
I have a HT kit and no problems with it.. running 33's locked...

when i installed the lift it was easier for me and i liked it a lot better than having to take apart the t-case...

if mine ever breaks i will buy a hd unit!

ok now on PORC website i find the SYE kit that replaces the output shaft and you have to take apart the transfer case to do the install, but i cant find the PORC hack and tap version on their website, can ne one help me?? i want the hack and tap version from PORC because i dont wanna take apart my transfer case and i dont want to take the np231 out of XJ,
Will the hack and tap kit from PORC work for my '87 np231 ???

jeep_87_cherokee said:
ok now on PORC website i find the SYE kit that replaces the output shaft and you have to take apart the transfer case to do the install, but i cant find the PORC hack and tap version on their website, can ne one help me?? i want the hack and tap version from PORC because i dont wanna take apart my transfer case and i dont want to take the np231 out of XJ,
Will the hack and tap kit from PORC work for my '87 np231 ???
Seriously, if you don't want to remove the t.c you don't have to. The h.d sye can be installed by seperating the back half of the case. I was a little leary about the install myself but it turned out to be easier than I expected.
Have you looked carefully at what you will be required to use a h.t? Do a little more research IMHO it was easier to seperate the case replace with h.d parts (I also rebuilt my t.c) Also ask around in your chapter you may find someone who will give you a hand, That is part of why we are here!

xjoe said:
Seriously, if you don't want to remove the t.c you don't have to. The h.d sye can be installed by seperating the back half of the case. I was a little leary about the install myself but it turned out to be easier than I expected.
Have you looked carefully at what you will be required to use a h.t? Do a little more research IMHO it was easier to seperate the case replace with h.d parts (I also rebuilt my t.c) Also ask around in your chapter you may find someone who will give you a hand, That is part of why we are here!

actualy - i found it easier to install my SYE with the t-case in the vehicle...

and i have done it both ways...

PORC doesn't offer a H&T kit that I know of. Their HD SYE is cheaper than the H&T for your transfer case, not to mention shorter and stronger.

I don't know what horror stories you've heard about opening the 231, but installing a replacement shaft SYE with the 231 in the jeep is pretty easy.

Back