• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilt or new master cylinder? Install difficulty?

canadianwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
1)The master cylinder on my 92 xj with abs is gone. I have been pricing out both new and rebuilt mc's and there is a big difference in prices. Is a rebuilt one just as good or should i dump the money into a new one?

2) How hard is the install of a mc? I dont have much experience with ABS and dont wanna mess it up and ideas?

i work in an automotive brake shop and to rebuit it it will be a hassle from step one so replacing it would save u a headache and a half it should take about 1/2 an hour to pull out the old one 2 bolts and put the new one in make sure u bleed the whole system starting at the master cylinder and then the abs (not sure i will get back to u )then farthest line right rear then left rear then right front then left front then check the pedal

Get a new one. I went the rebuilt route many years ago with my '89 and ended up replacing it twice before going to a new, OEM master cylinder. We later learned that the particular parts store had noticed an almost 100% failure rate in the past year on rebuilt masters...

Back