• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 power

TheBlueSub

NAXJA Forum User
I know everyone hates the 2.8 so i dont need any hate mail or posts but i have what i have. i love what i do and i need some help

i got an 1985 xj with the 2.8 it is my DD and i am slowly getting it ready for the off road but the weak power plant aint cutting it so if anyone has suggestions or any help i'd be much obliged.

i need to boost the Hp within a resonable range

Swap in a 4.0 HO.

That should be a nice boost for you!

what should i gear to were can i get a better carb what if i ran no cat and flowmaster 40 muffler or(what should i use)

LOL.....We gotta know how much you have to spend or we will quickly tire of this. Seriously....it will take several hundred at least to make any headway with getting more power....at the very least check out the engine to make sure it is in sound condition and proper tune....if it has problems, they have to be addressed before you attempt to modify for power.

If the local smog rules permit, get a 38DGES Weber carb kit. The stock carb is one of those Rochester feedback things. But I think the best idea is the 3.4 engine...you may be able to find a good used one for a few hundred bux. Throw in a couple hundred for expendables and gaskets and maybe a engine lift rental.

Use the link that Robz posted....it about covers it.

MudDawg said:
...get a 38DGES Weber carb kit. ... 3.4 engine...you may be able to find a good used one for a few hundred bux. Throw in a couple hundred for expendables and gaskets and maybe a engine lift rental.

That is exactly what I did. Significant increase in power.

Just save up your bucks and swap in a SB V8. In terms of most HP & TQ/$, I can't imagine anything short of at least a 3.4 swap that would be practical.

The 3.4 can be done INEXPENSIVELY as opposed to spending mucho dinero.

ok well i can get a sb for cheap but what bout pre made mounts

im taking advice from some one named "krakhedd" just seems stupid lol

Back