• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting weird

ibjeepin821

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys 89 cherokee 4.0 186,230 and I have been having some shifting problems. My jeep seems like it keeps trying to go into overdrive while driving. it mostly happenes when im on the highway and im just crusing around 65. out of no where it will down shift on me. any idea? also there hae been times when it has gotten stuck in 1st gear. evetually it comes out but im kinda stuck with what to do. we have looked at what vaccuum lines we could see and we found 2 breaks so far which we repaired. could it be another line somewhere or couldI just be losing the tranny?

also, we cleaned the idle stepper motor, and then replaced it and it hasn't really affected the issue. just another variable to eliminate.

Sounds like the TV (throttle valve) cable needs to be adjusted. In the old days it was called the kick down cable. If it is out of adjustment, it can cause the tranny to think you are pressing the gas harder than you are and will cause it to drop out of OD.

Another thing that can cause similar problems is the TPS. One section is used by the tranny computer to sense the throttle position to determine shift points.

kick down cable goes down from the throttle body to the tranny correct? how do I know when it is adjusted right?

ibjeepin821 said:
kick down cable goes down from the throttle body to the tranny correct? how do I know when it is adjusted right?

You just press the release button and press the peddle to the floor and it self adjusts.

Back