• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

comparing fuel additives - the best fuel injector cleaner?

austinXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA experts - What is the best fuel additive for cleaning the XJ’s 4.0 fuel injectors? (not for problems, just for preventative maintenance)

I have heard a lot of talk about Chevron’s Techron and Lucas (I also read the “Fuel System Cleaner” thread on OTHER Tech Discussion forum)

Any empirical evidence on the web comparing injector cleaners in the form of fuel additives?

I know that BG44K is considered to be the best cleaner for fuel injectors (presumably connecting the can to the fuel rail assembly). I am however looking for something a little more convenient but also effective. Yea I know - you get what you pay for… usually.

Many thanks in advance for any info/advice.

And thanks for the responses to my “black soot in/around the outside of tailpipe?” question.

edward

Personal choice is LUCAS injector cleaner. Its the only injector additive that i have used that i can tell a difference with. I do use a bottle every oil change as preventive maintainence. I really can't tell a difference now, but the first two times i used lucas, it was obvious.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68660

there you go, some stuff there

Gene MJ

Last edited:
On my 88 4.0l, about every 4th oil change I clean the throttle body and IAC woth aerosol TB cleaner, then idle the engine & trickle 1/2 a can of Seafoam through there, I then cut the engine off for a bit (usually do the oil change while waiting) & crank it back up as per the directions on the can. I dump the remainder of the can into the fuel tank the next time it's goes under 1/2 full.

To be honest, I can't tell if it helps any, but it doesn't seem to hurt anything. My injectors and pressure regulator were new last spring, so I do this more as preventative maintenance than to fix any fuel delivery issues.

I vote BG44k in the tank, with Lucas being the only other one I would even consider.

I also vote for BG44K in the tank. When I went thru this, the consensus seemed to be they (both Lucas and BG44k) will do the job however you will not need to use the BG44k as often, the 44k being the 'stronger' of the 2.

So once a year I dump the 44k in and do the Deep Creep/Seafoam thing. Strictly preventive maintenance, couldn't tell you what difference it is making however $22.00 for a can of 44k a year, I can handle that.

I get my 44k at Napa.

I personally use the LUCAS Part Number 10020 Fuel injection cleaner.Treats up to 25 gal and is really cheap and Awesome at cleaning the injectors and fuel system.After I first started using the cleaner about 200 miles later.I noticed that the truck was sluggish So I changed the fuel filter.Before I tossed out the filter I cut itt open to see All the dirt and flakes inside the filter.Boy was there alot of stuff clogging up the system.After I changed the filter I noticed that I get better throttle response and the truck uses less gas.

lawrence
94 XJ 6.0" rusty/RE Custom Long arm

techron is amazing but you have to use it in a good concentration. we used it on a couple of race bikes(carb'd) 12 oz bottle to 2 gals of gasoline. pulled everything out of the fuel system! so now i let the tank get down to just about empty dump the bottle in and go drive for 20-30 mins and get gas.

Thanks for the information guys. I know Techron is highly marketed, BG products have a good reputation (with tokens in each can!) and word has it that Lucas also makes a good product.

However, anyone know off a study published on the web scientifically comparing fuel additives for best fuel injector cleaner?

Thanks again, edward

Back