• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wont start after no fuel

Beachmonkey6

NAXJA Forum User
so i was drivin yesterday and my '90 xj died. i figured out that the gas tank was empty even though my gauge said otherwise. So i put 3 gallons of gas in it and it still doesnt start. Ive tryed pumpin the accelerator,tryin to get gas to the engine, but that still doesnt work. Do yall have any ideas of what i can do to get it to start? Thanks

Is the fuel pump working?

One of the downsides of running out of gas a FI system is that it allows the fuel pump to overheat, really overheat, the gas cools the pump. If the pump is not firing up it may have seized up. Pumping the gas pedal in a FI engine does nothing but flap the butterly in the in the throttle body, it's not like a carb with gas in the bowl. Turn the key to on and let it sit for two minutes, push the shrader valve on the fuel rail and see if there is any pressure, if not then the pump is toast.

Back