• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Teraflex SYE

AZ XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I'll try to make this the last sye thread I do I swear. I ordered my AA kit from offroadtoystore.com on Oct. 29th, and I just contacted them asking why my order hadn't been shipped yet. They informed me that they are out of AA kits until November 17th. I need the kit now, so they said they had the Teraflex SYE in stock and would send me that one. Is this kit any good? Is it comparable in quality and strength to the AA kit I ordered? I need help on this one. I havent heard much about the Tera kit except that it is an AA copy. I really appreciate any info on this.

I have the terra sye in my 93. I was recomended it over the AA because of a better sealing surface on the output shaft housing. I have never used an AA or other brand so I am not sure if this is true or not, But I do know that the terra isnt leaking and it seems damn strong.

holeshot said:
I have the terra sye in my 93. I was recomended it over the AA because of a better sealing surface on the output shaft housing. I have never used an AA or other brand so I am not sure if this is true or not, But I do know that the terra isnt leaking and it seems damn strong.

How'd you address the speedometer?

FWIW, damn near everyone and their Mother are running the AA kit with no issues.

don't the tera ones need the bearing pressed in? and the seals installed?

on my PORC one all that was aleady in the tailcone.

ECKSJAY said:
How'd you address the speedometer?

FWIW, damn near everyone and their Mother are running the AA kit with no issues.

There are no speedometer issues with my Tera SYE.

mack said:
don't the tera ones need the bearing pressed in? and the seals installed?

Yes but it is really simple and fast to do.

It is pretty damn close to the AA.

cracker said:
There are no speedometer issues with my Tera SYE.
Disregard, I was thinking of the Super Short one. ;)

It is pretty damn close to the AA.
Now that I realize this is the one you're talking about, it's damn near identical. They sure fool us with some of their parts. Many Tera parts look like others. Probably due to their overseas reproduction plants, a la Randy's Ring and Pinion. ;)

ECKSJAY said:
Now that I realize this is the one you're talking about, it's damn near identical. They sure fool us with some of their parts. Many Tera parts look like others. Probably due to their overseas reproduction plants, a la Randy's Ring and Pinion. ;)

I know the Tera is more expensive (Why?). The only reason I bought it was because of availability (AA was not available at the time).

Well, I've looked at Teraflex's website, and there dosen't seem to be any real negative feedback, so I'm just gonna let them send me the Tera kit. The guy says its virtually identical, and Tera's parts seem to be pretty well built. I hope I don't regret this decision...

I tried to install one....after 4 hours of "WTF", I gave up. Next day I brought it back to ORU and found out they sold me one for a Wrangler, which for some unknown reason has a different design. So be POSITIVE its for an NP231 "J" t-case.
I ended up just going down to 4wheelers and getting the AA sye. It took 30 min to install.

Oh yea....The bearing goes in easy enough, getting that snap ring to hold it in is a motherf*****g SOB.

I got the Tera SYE, everyone said go with the AA one.
It has been working fine, but from what I have seen with everything else from Tere Flex, I wouldnt buy it again. I dont know how much longer it will hold up and never plan on buying anything with the Tera flex name again.

I bought a Tera SYE through PORC about a year and a half ago. At the time they gave me a much better deal than any other SYE kit anywhere else (I don't believe they were selling their SYE kit yet).

I've never seen/installed an AA kit, but reading through writeups online, I have to guess the Tera kit is virtually identical. The only difference in installation might be that the bearings and seals do have to be pressed in, but it is not too hard.

Hardest part of my install was the snap ring on the bearing because I didn't have a set of internal snap ring plires. (get yourself a good pair of them for the install)

I can't say that I go out and run extreme trails, but I do hit some moderate level stuff, and after running it for the past year and a half I have had no trouble with it and no complaints. I would not hesitate to run another one as it seems like a quality kit.

I have the Tera SYE in My xj and have had for about 4 years now, with well over 50K miles on it and not one problem. hasn't even started leaking yet. (knock on wood) a little trick with getting the bearing in, put the bearing in the freezer the night before you install it. As far as i can tell the Tera and the AA kit are identical. there probably made by the same company then sold under a different name, the price difference could easily be the difference in the amount sold. I don't think you'll ever have any problems or regret the tera kit at all.

Dingo

Thanks for the info guys, I went ahead and told them to send me the Tera kit. After all the reading I've done, I wouldn't be suprised if one manufacturer made all the kits and then were marketed under various different names. I'm gonna make trip to sears tomorrow to pick up a good set of snap ring pliers. Hopefully all works out.

I've had the Tera in mine since '99. They all look exactly the same to me. What's the deal with the bearing and seal? I just used a seal driver and tapped in in place. If I remember right it does have a snap ring to hold it in place.

The only thing you have to watch out for is on the older 231's with the vacuum switch on the back side of the case. With the tera kit the shift rail has to be cut down some otherwise it will bottom on the new tail housing. Unless the kit has changed it should tell you how much in the instructions.

Another source:
http://www.4xshaft.com/conversions.html
Price includes freight so it wouldn't be much more than PORC.

ECKSJAY said:
Disregard, I was thinking of the Super Short one. ;)

ECKSJAY, when did they go to electronic speedo's? '91? I put a super short in a '95 wrangler and the speedo wasn't an issue. It does need the calibration unit though.

I just remembered that the instructions on the TeraFlex were not the best when putting the pump part back together. I actually used the AA instructions in conjunction with the TeraFlex instructions to make it clear on exactly how it goes together. You can download the AA instructions off of there website.

Good luck.

Back