• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

paddles on a XJ??

dyna

NAXJA Forum User
Got a wild hair after a the last race in the Pismo dunes. anyone ever run paddles on a basically stock rig (95 4x4) Yeah I realize it might be a little hard on but I really dont care. Other than keeping the rear from bottoming and destroying the tires on the fenders I cant see why not. he,he,ha,ha. this otta be fun. wadda think??

As an ex-sandrail manufacturer I miss the dunes and have thought about it many times.The first issue is a tire that can handle a +3500# vehicle,they tend to start at about 33x18x15(not sure if that includes the paddles).Those tires on a 16-17" rim would be certain death to a unit bearing D30.
On the bright side,for beach running like Rocky Point you might look into some Goodyear Terra tires.There getting hard to find(VW buggie shops),but Ive run them on single axle and 4x4 applications.They are 31.50x15.50x15'S and look like a giant AT ATV tire.

RCP Phx said:
...certain death to a unit bearing D30...

I assumed he was thinking only about the rears.

But I could be fullovit, happens all the time...

Robert

I think a set of aired down AT's would be a great tire for the sand. You need a lot of power to use a Paddle tire. The XJ just isn't going to make use of the Paddle in my mind.

Michael

STS tires are about the best you can do in the sand. Try a 33x15.5 or there abouts...should float nicely.

Back