• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another brake question

mdwatkins

NAXJA Forum User
Alright guys...

Need to change my rotors, drums, pads and shoes. Anyone have any suggestions on brands to get?

I've read through the other posts and no one really has suggested any brands other than to stay away from chinese parts due to the poor steel quality.

I don't mind spending the cash on performance parts, so I'm looking for a good set of slotted rotors...after all, the brakes have got to be one of the most important features on our rides.

Thanks for the help

Matt

*Cliff's Notes* Unless you're willing to spend a lot of time and money, the best you can hope for is restoring brake performance to 'as-new' XJ condition.

That ain't sayin' much.
_ _ _ _ _

Unless you're going to buy a $$$$$ Brembo front set-up, I believe high-quality NAPA products will do just fine.
Unless NAPA-branded, the same products will be available for less thru Checker/AutoZone/PepBoys.

IMO, slotted and drilled rotors are poser and of no performance benefit compared to stock rotors.
Years ago, pads would 'off-gas', thereby creating a film between pad and rotor; the cross-drilling relieved this layer of gas. Modern pads don't off-gas to any significant extent.
The cooling of the rotor is accomplished by air being drawn from the annular space at the hub and thrown outward through the finned vents.

I don't know if your rig has composite rotors or not. I understand they are to be avoided in favor of one-piece 'cast' rotors. Also, there appear to be two different offsets for these, so get the same as you have.

Consider getting new calipers, or rebuilding the old ones.
Depending on vehicle age, hose replacement is prolly in order, too.
If the rotors and/or drums can still be machined to trueness, there's no benefit to replacing them.

All this will get you back to the way the truck was originally. Maybe 10% better braking from highest-performing pads and shoes.
Keep the rear drums adjusted, since the self-adjuster is worthless.

Back