• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3.5" RE lift, 3/4" tcase drop, shims friday, no vibes

NCCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, i installed my 3.5" RE single flex lift about 2 months ago with friends here at school on my 1999 sport. Vibes were noticable, but not unbearable. I put on the transfer case drop, 3/4" as stated. Vibes were corrected probably 85-90%. I have 2.5* steel shims for the leaf springs now. I'm pretty certain it will eliminate them once installed. I almost dont notice them any more anyways. After reading some of these SYE posts, everyone seems to think it is a ticking time bomb. If my angles aren't bad, and i have no vibes, do i need to worry about this and get an SYE, or am i ok with my setup now after i get the shims on? I searched around but with such a specific question its hard to find anything that matches. Thanks guys.

Kenny

Rest easy ... you should be in good shape.

I have a 3.5" RE superride lift, no TC drop, no shims and life is good. (2000 Sport)

If there are no vibes and everything is okay on and off the road, enjoy!

you were half right to assume if your angles are right your ok. I wouldnt go by vibes vs. no vibes.

There is a few sights out there if you google that will educate you about driveline angles and phasing. Read the articles and learn how to measure and calculate your angles. Take those figures and see if they fall into what is considered optimal. Optimal isnt the end all be all but will give you the best angles to avoid wear, binding and vibes.

The other factor is length. The more you lift the longer the shaft needs to be. This is taken up by the slip yoke. If the shaft is too extended you not only get more vibes from of lack support due to less spline engagement, but also run the risk of pulling the shaft off the t-case output, or snaping the output due to less splines surface area taking the torque.

Hapymudy is an exception. I have 3.5-4 inch measured lift on a 98 and about .75 drop, no shims. my angles are close, and I have minimal vibes. Also change your u-joints out for some heavy duty greaseables, it will help some. I plan to Hack-n-Tap soon.... I consider a drop a temporary solution.

thanks for the input guys. I have a buddy who is pretty well educated on leaf springs, he's kind of the connoisseur for our club here at clemson. After we get the shims on, he's going to help me find my angles. I've got an RE hack n tap lying around. I just dont have the money for a new driveshaft, and shims are a lot cheaper. I'm up for suggestions, opinions, questions, concerns, complaints, compliments, whatever. Keep 'em coming

kenny

NCCherokee said:
thanks for the input guys. I have a buddy who is pretty well educated on leaf springs, he's kind of the connoisseur for our club here at clemson. After we get the shims on, he's going to help me find my angles. I've got an RE hack n tap lying around. I just dont have the money for a new driveshaft, and shims are a lot cheaper. I'm up for suggestions, opinions, questions, concerns, complaints, compliments, whatever. Keep 'em coming

kenny

hack-n-tap with a spicer adapter and xj front driveshaft.... good for 3-5 lift IIRC. do a search around here, you'll find it.

UPDATE! I'm senile! I responded that I do not have a Tcase drop .. but I do!

With the TCase drop it works very well.

Fordtech, you should have called me out as a liar on this one!

Back