• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM replacement seats

BDHershey

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but couldn't find a source for OEM replacement seats for my XJ. I have a 99 sport that I spend all day in for work. THe drivers seat has broken twice requiring welding to fix. It just doesn't sit straight anymore, and the long hours at the odd angle are taking a toll on my lower back. I don't want to replace all the seats as the rest are in good condition, just the drivers. My local scap yards are usually picked over pretty quick, and finding the right color to match could be difficult. Any sources for seats out there? Oh yeah, my interior is gray cloth, I think they called it "Agate". Thanks everyone!

-Hershey

I looked for an OEM replacement seat for months, I even went as far as taking the passenger seat and fabricating an adapter to make that seat the driver seat. I finally gave up looking and ordered an aftermarket seats.

Seats on Ebay are hard to come by in any decent condition, and when you do, the people selling them are asking the price of new seats and usually will not break up the set that they are selling. I can't say about the dealers what they will cost or availability, but the seats in the 97+ XJs are terrible for breakage. I have broken / welded / broke / rewelded broke two different seats beyond reasonable repair.

Someone here (or was it JU?) has installed WJ non power seats onto their XJ seat bases. From what I understand, it's a direct bolt on. You just unbolt the XJ seat from the base, and bolt on WJ seats....

Not only are the WJ seats interchangeable, but so are the TJ seats. The only difference is sliders. Early 90's Mustang seats work well too. To fit those you need to only drill a couple holes and bolt em to the sliders.

dpg off road has a set of used front seats for a '98. http://www.dpgoffroad.com/ go to the thing on the side that says products, and then click on the used items. be carefull when un bolting the seats though. when i took the seats out of my parts jeep, the inner back studs snaped on both sides.

I installed some power WJ Grand seats in my non-powered Xj. They are nicer seats with better material and they are more comfortable. The motors are on the floor bracket and only the switches are on the seat. I got a plastic cover from a non-powered WJ seat to cover the switches. Super easy to do the swap, only 4 bolts and my Xj floor brackets fit perfectly onto the WJ seats. (Minor offtopic drift, my agate cloth seats are for sale, PM me.)
http://www.fototime.com/AC3C04F3F326048/standard.jpg Click for fullsize pic
thumbnail.jpg

Tim_MN said:
I installed some power WJ Grand seats in my non-powered Xj. They are nicer seats with better material and they are more comfortable. The motors are on the floor bracket and only the switches are on the seat. I got a plastic cover from a non-powered WJ seat to cover the switches. Super easy to do the swap, only 4 bolts and my Xj floor brackets fit perfectly onto the WJ seats. (Minor offtopic drift, my agate cloth seats are for sale, PM me.)
http://www.fototime.com/AC3C04F3F326048/standard.jpg Click for fullsize pic
thumbnail.jpg

lets see the pics of the seats installed...i am considering doing this when i come across a set

Looks good

My driver seat just broke for the second time, and I really don't feel like doing a temporary fix again.

Where are you guys finding the WJ seats? Salvage yard, eBay, elsewhere? What should I expect pay for them? If I don't find those, I will probably have to go aftermarket.

I found a set of WJ seats on Ebay for $200, including shipping! If you can, search for Laredo package seats, which are less desirable to the WJ crowd. Those still come in leather, but they have the manual recline lever (like your XJ) instead of the power recline option. One less electrical thing you don't have to mess with when swapping them into your XJ.

The other power functions of the seats reside on the seat base, which you won't use anyway; once you bolt up the WJ seats to your XJ seat bases...

Ivan

Very cool ideas...
OK how about heated seats into a 99 Classic w/o heated seats? Was there an XJ that had heated seats? Would a WJ seat wiring be a pain?
Since this is primarily a winter vehicle heated seats would be NICE!

Someone said the wiring for the heated seat should be under the trim next to the seat. Take a look see. Probable used only one wiring harness.

Connor

i have leather seats in mine from a wj and could quite figure out how to wire the heated seats

Back