• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

codes?

XJ1998

NAXJA Forum User
ill start off by saying this is an excellent forum. ill be a member as soon as i convince my wife i need to join "another" club.

i have used the search feature quite a bit and gotten alot of useful info. i just recently took some advice from one of the posts and went to autozone and got them to read the codes off my 1998 cherokee w/103,000m. i got the following 2 codes...

P0138
02 sensor high voltage bank 1 sensor 2

P1281
manu. fuel air metering

my question is what do these mean? i assume i need a new o2 sensor. but the second code i have no idea. the kid from autozone said mass airflow but im asking the pros before i spend any cash.

i appreciate any info.

P1281 means the engine is staying cold too long and you probably need a new thermostat. It could mean more, but that's the basic diagnosis (as per the '00 FSM [Factory Service Manual]).

Sensor codes don't mean the sensor is bad,it means the reading is off and you need to find out why. Sometime the sensor is bad but not all that often.

Can someone tell me what my problem could be with my Jeep? Check Engine Light came on, checked the code

P0456 - Evaporative Emissions Leak (Small)

Does anyone no exactly what this could be?

WhiteXJ1287 said:
Can someone tell me what my problem could be with my Jeep? Check Engine Light came on, checked the code

P0456 - Evaporative Emissions Leak (Small)

Does anyone no exactly what this could be?

Your fuel system is supposed to be sealed so that vapors can't escape, so presumably the sensor is sensing that there's a leak somewhere in the vent system. This includes possible loose/defective gas cap and that would be a good place to start.

Back