• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Reinforcement

thecozmo65

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at two of these kits. The JKS set and the C-ROK one. Im sure there are some people on here who have put one or the other of these on. Im looking for goods, bads, uglys, opinions. Just alittle help making the decision.

I have the C-Rok plate and it bolts on and is nice and strong and does the job. The JKS is weld on and a lot harder to install. I'm also very hesitant to weld on the think XJ sub frame because you can do more harm them good if you don't know quite what you are doing. You also need to strip the coating on the frame and anything else so you have a nice clean and smooth surface to weld the JKS plate to. I'd go with the C-Rok kit personally. Mark Hinkley here can answer your questions about the JKS plate as he is the originator of it.

I love the JKS/ORGS system. I would't go any other way. It makes both sides work together either way the steering box is pushing...or pulling. From what I hear, the c-rok is better than nothing, but it's still in two pieces instead of one like the JKS turns into. If you can weld, take the extra time (quite a bit of it) and do the JKS. _nicko_

I like both setups but I run the C-Rok brace on mine. He's a good guy too and actually helped me with the install at camp in Moab a couple years ago. I had noticed my steering box area was ripping just days before heading to Moab so I welded it back up and emailed C-Rok for a brace. He brought it to Moab with him and then helped to install it. It's worked great.

JKS! It is a pain in the ass to install but well worth it. I am loosing faith in bolt on things on the unibody. They don't seem to hold up well (for me)

Last edited:
I really like how the JKS one goes on, but right now I haven't the skills nor the necessary time in a shop to install one. I figured that someday when I am running bigger than 33s and stock axles I'll give that a go.

C-Rok for me here in the next few days. :)

JMotorsprt said:
Doesn't Rusty's offer something?
He just offers a brace that wraps around the steering box, and bolts to the opposite frame rail. Not really worth getting first, but maybe as an addition to inner and outter plates.

xjj33p3r said:
He just offers a brace that wraps around the steering box, and bolts to the opposite frame rail. Not really worth getting first, but maybe as an addition to inner and outter plates.

I use a MORE brace in addition to my JKS. I had to shorten it about a 1/4" to make it go back on (with the JKS plates). I also highly recommend a track bar bracket brace that goes to the opposite framerail. You stiffen up the steering mounts and that force has to go somewhere else and it is the track bar bracket. After setting up a track bar bracket brace you can do a limiting strap to your axle from the brace.

thecozmo65 said:
Im looking at two of these kits. The JKS set and the C-ROK one. Im sure there are some people on here who have put one or the other of these on. Im looking for goods, bads, uglys, opinions. Just alittle help making the decision.

Go the weld on route. Do it once and be done with it. Rusty does have a set of weld on plates available.

P.S Not the only XJ in Maryland.
Derik
01 xj 8 inch lift, 38 TSL/SX, in the process of being chopped and caged.

You need to call and ask about it. I don't think it is something he stocks. May takehim a week to make it, but you won't be sad. It includes plates for both sides and both inner and outer frame rails, plus tow hook atachments.
It requires you to remove the long tow hook brackets he and others make, but the frame reinforcers pick up the large bolt in the rear of the frame rail and extend all the way to the front.
After I tore off my steering box, this was the only solution.

Back