• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Better evap??

Angus

NAXJA Forum User
Well after several 134 fill ups I guess I need to attend to my brother and my jeeps A/C system. His is a '97 and mine is a '00, both leak 134 after a month or two. I have put in UV and red dye, and "leak sealer". I have inspected all over the exposed lines, compressor, and condensor with no sign of the leak. I imagine we are looking into a dash removal party. Has anyone seen a better evaporator on the market, as the Jeep unit seems to have issues.

Thanks, Angus

Run the AC and look for the dye in the condensation coming out of the drain. Evap went out on my Caravan, slow leaker, filled it about every 6 months. Put dye in, saw the dye in the water puddle under the van. :)

Failure is often caused by the evaporator getting dirty...this leads to freeze-up...make sure the low limit stat is installed and functional. (inserts into the evaporator and shuts down the compressor if it gets too cold.

I gave up on the dyes and UV a long time ago. I put a couple of ounces of R-22 into the system and check with either an electronic or flame leak detector. I know the EPA is gonna have you castrated if your caught, but a reality check tells me, hundreds (if not thousands) of tons of R-22 are vented into the atmosphere yearly by osmosis and a couple of ounces of detectable freon, sure isn't gonna have any affect on the ozone layer. I'm not fully convinced R 134a is harmless, it may just take awhile to figure out what the side affects are. For twenty years, Dupont was saying R-12 was harmless, until it became very apparent, the refer techs. starting having an unusual number of heart problems.

MudDawg said:
Failure is often caused by the evaporator getting dirty...this leads to freeze-up...make sure the low limit stat is installed and functional. (inserts into the evaporator and shuts down the compressor if it gets too cold.

I had to change the low level just out of warantee. The system is low in this case.
Angus

Anyone have a good source for a replacement other than a failure prone Jeep unit?

Quite frankly I'm getting used to it not cooling great, it's the durabilty that I'm after! I have acounts with many parts houses, does anyone recomend good luck with a product?

Back