• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

acurate power - stocker, supercharger

Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have any experience with acurrate power stoker kits?
Anyone bolted on his supercharger?
Any input would be great brfore a spend money

stroker, stroker

Its late and I cant spell

Man, if you want to make horsepower bolt on a turbo. A supercharger being belt driven steals horsepower from the motor and has a max boost of about 7psi. A turbo on the other hand, can boost up to 30 psi (with proper headwork & headstuds) and is free horsepower as it's running of your exhaust. The other benefit a turbo has is that as the exhaust pressure drops and gets hotter, like when running up long grades, a turbo will generate more boost thus giving you the horsepower you need when you need it.

:eek:

but with the supercharger you don't have lag...instant power because it is run by the belt. Plus he probably isn't going to take this thing to the salt flats so 30 pounds of boost is probably a little more than he is after.

JJ13 said:
but with the supercharger you don't have lag...instant power because it is run by the belt. Plus he probably isn't going to take this thing to the salt flats so 30 pounds of boost is probably a little more than he is after.

Lag? Jeez, this is the biggest myth among people who dont really understand turbos. Lag is a result of an improperly matched impeller and housing to engine displacement/volumetric efficency. The fact is that the proper sized turbo will not 'lag'. Every diesel out there is turboed, how often do they complain about the lag? LOL. And the boost is just the maximum, he's talking about making max power (and I think this is for a street machine BTW, see his other thread), it's like having 1000 hp on tap you dont need to use it all ALL the time.

You have a better way to double your motors horsepower?

Jimbo, Jimbo......of course there's turbo lag. The factories talk about turbo lag. The new 6.0L Power Stroke has a new design turbo to decrease turbo lag over the turbo in the 7.3L. Turbo lag is from the turbo needing to spin up to speed, nearly impossible to eliminate. It's not a big deal, but it's there.

All of our Ford SVT vehicles are using superchargers......Cobra, Lightning, and Harley Davidson. Much nicer drivability than a turbo, and they put out plenty of power, especially nice at the low end where most normal street driving is done.

Personally, I'd put a supercharger on a 4.0L way before I'd put a turbo on one. Of course, that's a bunch of money to spend, so you'd have to want more power real bad, and have plenty of money to blow on getting it. I know of no one who has a turbo kit for a 4.0L, but there are a couple places to get a supercharger for one.

Sure in factory cars there is probably some turbo lag. But like you said it's minimal, and with a properly tuned compressor you will not have lag. You can tune a compressor/housing to begin making boost at 500 rpm. Would you, no, but you could. The size of the housing and pitch of the compressor is what will determine lag and it must be matched to your motor's exhaust output which will be determined by CR, cam, headwork = flow. Factory cars have lag because they use a generic size turbo for many applications. Most fast turbo guys run nitrous off the line to spool up the ridiculously large turbo.

Richard Richard Richard. I used to turbo VW motors all the time, several street cars in Chino are turbo'ed with my headers & intakes. My dad owns a '71 Boss 351 and a '96 Cobra so I know all about Ford & the SVT & blah blah blah. All I can say is, once you get your precious race car beat by a VW life's just not the same anymore. :D

Last edited:
I agree with vintage on this turbos are the better way to get power and can be done very cheap compared to buying a blower. And there are somany tricks and ways to stop lag that everyone seems to think of. A small burst of compressed air will spool up the turbo so quick you wouldn't belive or as he said a smallll shot of nitrous for even more bang for the buck.I've been researching turbos for alittle over a year andam real looking forward to buildinga street MJ with a turbo 4.0and will be able to pound arount 20lbs of boost when i'm done

Sweet, if I was building a street machine it'd be an MJ. What alot of people also dont understand is that 'boost' or over-pressurizing the combustion chamber is simple mathmatics. If your engine (whatever it is) makes X amount of horsepower at a given atmospheric pressure Y and is normally aspirated then what happens to X (horsepower) when you double or triple Y (pressure & mixture)? A supercharger is limited by design and will only make a relatively small 'boost' number, a turbo can make many times more. :eek:

ok,ok,ok
who makes a good turbo kit for the 4.0 L?

The super charger puts out 10 lbs all the time

Ron

has anyone bought one of his stroker kits?
If so how was it?

Comanche said:
ok,ok,ok
who makes a good turbo kit for the 4.0 L?

The super charger puts out 10 lbs all the time

Ron

There used to be a commonly advertised 4.0L turbo kit in the 4X rags. I did just take a look and can't find one on the web. I would contact www.turbocity.com in Anaheim CA and see if they have a header/kit they can put together. I know they've done XJs in the past, there was one there last time I was in their shop. The hardest part to the kit is building the header, which isn't difficult at all, any competent fab shop can build one using the flange off one of those old cracked headers as a template. I'd use a Garrett T03 turbo from a Chrysler, Volvo, Reliant as the base and build a custom impeller/compressor/housing with the cartridge. Upgrade it to a carbon seal and replace all bearings. Create some intake ducting and you'll be good to go up to about 14psi boost pressure. Over that and you'd want to plumb in a good intercooler/air to air exchanger or just use alchohol injection to keep it cool.

To answer your ? I have Mikes stroker motor it run REALLY strong, anyone here that knows me can attest to the abuse i put it thru and it runs great, just dont ask me about MPG's cause i dont know. Here are the specas from the motor. http://www.strokersjeep.com/page7.html

As far as his workmanship it is top notch and he backs his products, i've never had any problems with his products or customer service.

HTH
STROKER

Lag? Jeez, this is the biggest myth among people who dont really understand turbos. Lag is a result of an improperly matched impeller and housing to engine displacement/volumetric efficency. The fact is that the proper sized turbo will not 'lag'. Every diesel out there is turboed, how often do they complain about the lag? LOL. And the boost is just the maximum, he's talking about making max power (and I think this is for a street machine BTW, see his other thread), it's like having 1000 hp on tap you dont need to use it all ALL the time.

I was just trying to add another side to this discussion. I completely understand how a turbo functions, well enough to understand that Turbo Lag is not a myth, it is a fact of the way a Turbo functions. No exhaust pressure (low RPM's) no boost. Your reference to Diesels doesn't really apply here due to the insanely high compression ratios in modern Diesels (high compression = lots more pressure to get the Turbo spinning).

I agree that Turbo's are a great way to build more ponies (in fact I am contemplating building a dual turbo setup for a project my father and I are building), but there operation is not free of flaws... that was my only point

JJ13 said:
[B.............I completely understand how a turbo functions, well enough to understand that Turbo Lag is not a myth, it is a fact of the way a Turbo functions. No exhaust pressure (low RPM's) no boost. Your reference to Diesels doesn't really apply here due to the insanely high compression ratios in modern Diesels (high compression = lots more pressure to get the Turbo spinning...........[/B]
Perhaps you can teach me how to build a motor that will run with NO EXHAUST PRESSURE? Like I said, a turbo that is matched to the motor correctly will not lag, it will start making smooth power at the point where your cam starts coming online & making normally aspirated power & the turbo will take it from there. :angel:

Fawk guys!
Why don't you take the turbo vs. blower debate to it's own f'n thread :mad: .
The person asked about firsthand knowledge of the stroker and blower not a dissertation about turbos and blowers.

Yes, I run Mike's stroker kit. I built it up for the use of a small blower in the future.
I run a bit larger dish on my pistons because of the future blower application plans and I just went to a larger cam than I originally ran. The thing has great torque and will make my 33's talk even with an auto and a locked rear end.

The cam swap took place when I replaced an early failed set of cam bearings. I talked to Mike about the bearing failure and he offered to replace the cam, bearings, and all if the original cam was the reason for the failure. He stands behind his stuff. As it turns out there was no know reason for the failure but Cleveite bearings seem to be the only common denominator in the 3 failures known to me.

As for the blower issue, I only know of Mike's set up and Avenger's set up. Both will make enough HP and Torque to destroy the XJ driveline. I have looked into both of them. I like the research Mike has done and the supplemental fuel system that is designed into it. You will need the supplemental set up on a blown (or turbo’ed) stroker. I think Mike's '97 TJ 5spd does a 14.9 1/4 mi. His '00 XJ auto does 15.2. Those times are without the added power of the stroker so ymmv.
I have owned both blown and turbo'ed cars in the past and my Mom (yes mom!) drives one with a supercharger every day. For all around use I think the low-end torque boost of the blower and the lack of lag from the turbo makes the most sense on most trail and street rigs. The blower also doesn’t create as much heat as the turbo and doesn’t tax the engine much unless needed. Mom’s makes zero boost until you get on the gas. My Super coupe t-Bird didn’t either. If you are after a race vehicle then maybe the turbo would do better high end RPM and make the most racing type power. However, if you want to go that fast should you really be hopping up a Jeep?

Bones
NAXJA #6

Accurate's:
supercharger.JPG

Avenger's:
avenger-or.jpg

I appologize, no thread hijacking intended. My intent wasn't to get into a pissing contest. Just trying to make sure the onesided road the thread was traveling was rerouted to keep it between the lines.

Comanche do what makes you happy Bro...both of the options will build ponies. IMO the benefits of a blower outway those of the turbo, and in a lot of cases if more boost is needed you can change the pulleys to drive the blower harder. Plus a blower looks a lot cooler than a turbo.

:D

Back