• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hub bearings

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
why does the stock xj axles (dana 30)?
have the crappyist hub bearings.
i think i change these more than i do u-joints.
i think its time for an upgrade.
f1aad653.jpg

moneypitxj said:
why does the stock xj axles (dana 30)?
have the crappyist hub bearings.
i think i change these more than i do u-joints.
i think its time for an upgrade.
f1aad653.jpg
what did you do? Do you tighten the axle shaft nut to 175ft lbs (I think that's what it calls for)?

i wouldnt know dont have a torque wrench that goes that high in ft/lbs.
it happened this weekend while wheelin.
heres a pic of the tire still on.
just a little crooked.
did not drive too well either.
f1aad664.jpg

Last edited:
What backspacing, and what kind of wheels do you have? Little backspacing and wide set/heavy wheels can cause the bearings to go bad frequently.

I have 15x8's with 3.75 BS and 33x12.5x15 re-treads (heavy). I have been wheeling on the (I have no idea how old or original) hubs for 3 years and I have not replaced them yet. Will be soon, but they have lasted much longer than expected so far.

I suspect you need to look at either the way they were installed or something else?

Michael

That wheel/backspacing should not be a problem. My best advice is to stop doing things like you show in your avatar. Mud + hub bearings = short hub bearing life. Also, do a quick backyard alignment with your tape measure. Bad alignments could also lead to pre-mature hub bearing failure.

HTH's
Andy

Operator malfunction seems to be the culprit.

Seriously, check for a loose nut behind the wheel.

You don't need a torque wrench.
Get a break-over, stand on it and bounce.

I replaced the hubs on mine this sat morning....yup mud/water was the culprit. The best deal on hubs was at NAPA...$116.00 each.

MudDawg said:
I replaced the hubs on mine this sat morning....yup mud/water was the culprit. The best deal on hubs was at NAPA...$116.00 each.
I just got me some for $40 a piece from my friend :laugh3:

I've put about about 400k combined miles on the MJs and XJs I've owned, usually on 31 to 33 tires and alot of offroad miles and I just had to replace my first unit bearing this evening. Maybe I've been lucky.

Back