• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

non-vacume discos and vacume discos

jeepster89

NAXJA Forum User
how do the non vacume disconnects work on xjs is it machenical or eletrical was jsut wondering because i have never seen a button to operate the non-vacume disconnects i also might as well add this question in here are the axles with ABS stonger than non abs i ahve heard that the u-joints are different on the ABS ones i was told they were stronger and what is the cut off for the carrier for the front axle im gonna be putting in 4:88 so i was just gonna buy the lowest carrier that those owuld hold isntead of paying money for the high ratio

Last edited:
jeepster89 said:
i also might as well add this question in here are the axles with ABS stonger than non abs i ahve heard that the u-joints are different on the ABS ones i was told they were stronger and what is the cut off for the carrier for the front axle im gonna be putting in 4:88 so i was just gonna buy the lowest carrier that those owuld hold isntead of paying money for the high ratio

not sure about the front, but the rear axle would likely be weaker if it's ABS than if it was non abs with a c8.25

also I believe that the lowest recommended gears for stock axles = 4.56:1

someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The non-disco axles are just that, they don't disconnect at all. Everything spins all of the time. Just like the new models. If you want to have the front free wheel you will need a aftermarket locking hub kit,-->$$$$$.

U-joints for ABS and non-abs the same but the shafts are differnt. They can be interchanged if the ABS has been disconneted. Late 90s there was a change in u-joints to a bigger size.

I pretty sure the lowest you can go on a D30 in 4.56.

cLAYH said:
The non-disco axles are just that, they don't disconnect at all. Everything spins all of the time. Just like the new models. If you want to have the front free wheel you will need a aftermarket locking hub kit,-->$$$$$.
Correct. Stop looking for switches and levers, because there aren't any.
U-joints for ABS and non-abs the same but the shafts are differnt. They can be interchanged if the ABS has been disconneted. Late 90s there was a change in u-joints to a bigger size.
The early 90's XJs did use the larger u-joints in the D30s with ABS, and the small u-joints w/o ABS
I pretty sure the lowest you can go on a D30 in 4.56.
4.88 is available aftermarket, but not from Dana-Spicer.

thanks for that help guys but now the question is if it never disconnects is it like having hte vehicle in 4w everywhere? and if that is the case is there or would there be a speed that i wouldnt be able to go over and last but not least would putting a non-vacume disconnect front axle on a vacume disconnect setup car still work and if so how does that work?

jeepster89 said:
thanks for that help guys but now the question is if it never disconnects is it like having hte vehicle in 4w everywhere?

No. It only disconnects an axle shaft, shifting to 2WD disconnects the front axle from the Transfer Case, at which point you are truly in 2WD even if the shaft never disconnects. The problem usually is that they fail to connect - at which point it is like having it in 2WD everywhere. . .

jeepster89 said:
. . .and last but not least would putting a non-vacume disconnect front axle on a vacume disconnect setup car still work and if so how does that work?

Works just fine. In fact, it's a pretty common modification to eliminate the disconnect altogether, and later models did away with it.

Back