• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running two different tires?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
I came accross a good deal today, $20 for two 30x9.5x15 Goodyear MT/Rs They are about 70% tread.

I need two tires to match these. Would you

A. Buy two new MT/Rs $300 shipped

B. Buy two Kumho Venture M/Ts for $205 shipped

C. Buy two "Whatever 30 inch aggressive tire I can find used" for $100 tops

Well, whatever tire you buy, just make sure that on each axle the tires are the same. If you have more than 1/8" difference it'll spin your spider gears while going in a straight line, heating things up quickly, and possibly welding your spider gears to your pinion shaft, thus creating a locker. So unless you really want a welded diff, keep that in mind.

I think you should try to find some more mt/r's though. They look awesome, really different than most other tires, so they'd stand out if you have them mismatched. Maybe you can come across a couple more slightly used ones.

Roodki said:
Well, whatever tire you buy, just make sure that on each axle the tires are the same. If you have more than 1/8" difference it'll spin your spider gears while going in a straight line, heating things up quickly, and possibly welding your spider gears to your pinion shaft, thus creating a locker. So unless you really want a welded diff, keep that in mind.

I think you should try to find some more mt/r's though. They look awesome, really different than most other tires, so they'd stand out if you have them mismatched. Maybe you can come across a couple more slightly used ones.
hmm

the old welded spiders to pinion...

somehow that doesnt add up...

Dont forget the horn fluid and carberator belt

My advice?

Quit fing around...by 4 good (not great) tires and be done. Stop beating on your poor MJ, stop thinking about short throw shifters, and just keep it running.

Geeze.

Rev

My truck, ill do what I want with it. Including beating the shit out of it I want.

/rant

The Dunflops are the same size. I just dont want to pay $132 per tire. I like $90 a lot more.

Back