• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do for Winter Tires

tcharon

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All, I need to pick a great winter tire, about 35X12.50X15. The newer winter rubber compound they are making is a great help. It stays soft even in the real cold. Can't find one in my size that's aggressive enough tread to also do the off road powder I will also get into. Studs are a must for best traction from ice to wet, but I can add them to just about anything, best retention if I find one with pin holes from factory. Of course need narrowest tread I can find to get through and grip. More factory sips the better, but I can add more. So far: looks like Maxxis' MT Bighorn Radial is the best tread design with big open voids between the lugs so snow will clear and smaller footprint of rubber on the snow for more bite. Also it seems to have the second narrowest tread. Don't know how soft it will stay in the cold, but it does have sips and pin holes. Also ? Interco's Trxus M/T, Goodyear MT/R. The MT/R is the stickiest of the 3 by far and it does have the narrowest tread over the Maxxis by 1/8". It has a fine tread pattern, just not as open as the Maxxis. I will have to sip & pin it & the studs can come out easier than from the factory pin holes. I think Mud Terrain patterns will be the best for my combo of street & off. I'm mostly concerned about hard packed snow on streets & ice but I will do some off road powder. I think I want the real sticky MT/R cuz it is supposed to stay sticky soft in the cold, and it has the narrow tread for the hard packed. When I go for a day of all fresh powder I'll switch from my narrow studded, sipped MT/Rs to my Big Creepy Crawlers with internal bead locks at 2 PSI and have some fun. Any help or guidance?

Back