• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

belt too tight?

Daveisdabomb

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced the serpentine belt this morning, and now I'm noticing a lot of belt noise. It's not a squeak or anything, just a louder noticeable belt noise. Is there a chance it's on too tight? The deflection is about 1/4 inch between p.s. pump and idler on top. I took off some tension, but it still can be heard. It's a Goodyear Gatorback belt

I'm also curious as to the belt defelction. Ever since I took of my serp belt to do the thrmostat I've had squeaky belt. I've checked the idler, and the fan clutch. I keep tightening the tensioner, but it's real tight, I'm worried about the pulley bearings. I know it's the belt, if I spray some belt dressing on it the squeak goes away until it dries up.

it's not a squeak though. I'd say it's more like a constant hum noise. I can even feel a vibration in the power steering pump that I didn't notice before. Is there a break in period until the noise goes away?

Go to NAPA and have them order a KR2 belt tensioner gauge. Its about 13 dollars. You might get lucky and they have one in stock, but expect them to look at you like you are nuts. They will tell you after they type in the number that it comes back listed only as "gauge"....tell them to get it. My NAPA typically gets parts in the next day.

Its the ONLY way to properly set the belt tension on the XJ. BTW, fully expect that the new belt you put on has streched. Check it with the KR2 and retension it.

My KR2 now sits in the top tray of my toolbox, ready for the next time I need it. I wish I had gotten it sooner.

Try the forum search and look for Krikit.

Dave

Realistically, this is true, the only accurate way to tension serpentine type belts is with the gauge. Probably a worthwhile investment but knowing the owner of the NAPA I work at hes going to mark this item up a bit more than $13. Maybe you could borrow one from the stores that have the tool loaning. Also, when you adjust the tension are you loosening the bolt on the center of the idler pulley so the idler can be moved up into position then retorqueing this bolt? If you have a hum, its more likely a pully bearing, the belt is not correctly aligned among the pullys or something else like the p/s pump or water pump is howling.

I am going to say that your Idler pulley had its bearings go bad. Same thing happened to me when I replaced mine. Go to any auto parts store and get a new one. They are about $20.00.

Figured out my noise. Turns out it was the fan blade hitting the shroud. I took the shroud off to make the belt job easier, and broke it in the process. I re-assembled it, no rubbing, but with acceleration, the fan flexes and was making contact. Fixed my noise problem, thanx for all the advice. I did the 90 degree check and it looks like I'm o.k. with the tension.
my stupidity, oh well

Back