• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Filling Gap after new bumper install

wildman

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed this bumper from jcroffroad.com. Installation went fine, bumper looks great and functions perfectly. One problem though, a cosmetic one. If you look under the lights, there is that infamous gap left by most non-stock bumpers. Has anyone found a simple way to fix this problem by filling that gap? I'd appreciate any input you guys can give me.

Here's a pic of the bumper.
http://www.crawfishdesigns.com/aXJREAR.jpg

What about welding some square tube of the appropriate size just underneath? Cap the ends of new small tubes and it should look pretty decent. I know I've seen this recently but can't remember which post.

hmm, i would think the manufacturer would have done that..

thats a big gap.

Call up the JCR guys, Im sure they would be willing to help you out, they are really good guys. Ill be giving them a LOT of business in the near future, and have in the past.

I think I'll do that...In the meantime, if anyone can come up with some pics of ideas, post em up, or e-mail me. I may also try your idea Timber. Just depends on how much time I have on my hands

As a temp. Fix until you figure out what you want to do, spray some black paint on the gap, it'll look a hell of a lot less noticable than it is now.

Chero-King said:
As a temp. Fix until you figure out what you want to do, spray some black paint on the gap, it'll look a hell of a lot less noticable than it is now.

Lol....way ahead of you chero. I couldn't stand it any longer so I whipped out the dupli-color. ya gots 2 do what ya gots 2 do........

wildman said:
Lol....way ahead of you chero. I couldn't stand it any longer so I whipped out the dupli-color. ya gots 2 do what ya gots 2 do........

haha
Exactly what I would've done.
and is it still really noticable or just from close up?

What I did when I made mine was cut pieces to lay over at the same angle as the body there.

How%20to19.jpg

You can see it here tacked in place.

How_to14.jpg

Here it is fully welded in and ground.

Rebumper003.jpg

And painted

ArbRear_small.jpg

Last edited:
not as noticeable at all with a squirt of paint...lol...dam gojeep, that bumper is awesome. I don't think I have the necessary skills to build one quite like that. I took 4 pieces of square tubing that completely filled the gap, 2 on each side, and cut em at 45's to the proper length, welded em together, and painted em to match, waiting for the paint to dry right now, then I'll post a couple more links to the pics. Check back here in about 10 minutes to see. (1:35a.m. Central Time). Tell me what you think...it ain't gonna be super purty. but what can I say, I haven't had alot of experience working with metals. engines yes, machining/fabricating, NO.

I just trimmed the stock black rubber insert to fit the gap between my C4X4 bumper and the back of the heep. I added some screws to the back off the bumper and slid the rubber over that.... covers it perfectly.

Let me know if you want a pic . . .

DR

After a request, here are some pics of the stock rubber I used to close the gap. The plastic is a "[" shape, so I trimmed it to length like this:

http://myweb.cableone.net/norcal/Sundry/bumper gap.jpg

Before that, I sliced the edge slightly so the plastic would slide over a screw, about 4 total IIRC to hold it in place. Here's a pic from the underside where you can sorta see the plastic being held in place by a screw:

http://myweb.cableone.net/norcal/Sundry/bumper gap_under.jpg

Best to do this before you mount the bumper. Hope this helps . . .

DR

norcal420 said:
After a request, here are some pics of the stock rubber I used to close the gap. The plastic is a "[" shape, so I trimmed it to length like this:

http://myweb.cableone.net/norcal/Sundry/bumper gap.jpg

Before that, I sliced the edge slightly so the plastic would slide over a screw, about 4 total IIRC to hold it in place. Here's a pic from the underside where you can sorta see the plastic being held in place by a screw:

http://myweb.cableone.net/norcal/Sundry/bumper gap_under.jpg

Best to do this before you mount the bumper. Hope this helps . . .

DR

He was after a cure for the gap under the taillights but that is a good one for the one right along the bumper and body.
I have to see a better picture of the solution in the end used under the taillights as it is too dark to see any difference.

Gojeep said:
He was after a cure for the gap under the taillights but that is a good one for the one right along the bumper and body.
I have to see a better picture of the solution in the end used under the taillights as it is too dark to see any difference.

Whoops, my bad. Guess I don't have that problem with the C4X4 bumper . . .(it's raised under the lights).

DR

Back