• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manually switching steels rims back to dm alloys...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
I need to save some weight (custom-made HEAVY 8" Stockton steels rims) back to '98 7" Classic alloys.

Doable in ones garage? Here on LI, NY w/o balancing & valve it's like $10-15 per wheel.

Thanks, will run search.

Mike

Don't bother to try in your garage. Changing tubeless tires without the tools is quite the chore if you don't have experience, and sometimes is even if you have the experience. Around here changing tires, the same as putting on a set of snow tires is about $10 with balancing (not tape weights) per tire.

Why are you trying to save weight? It won't appreciably help your mileage. Depending on the type of driving you do, I would be surprised if it made .1mpg at the most. It may improve your accelleration and braking some, but most people would not notice a few pounds. Remember, energy is expended accellerating and decellerating the rotation speed, remember your physics. The rim weight is closer to the axis than a tire is, so tire weight effects this proportionally more. Tire inflation has many times more effect than rim weight.

On race cars we strive to keep the unsprung weight down for handling reasons, ie. keeping the tire in contact with the road.

Not trying to bash you, but to make sure if you are going to the trouble and $$$ that you are doing it for the right reasons. Good Luck.

How do-able it is depends to a great extent on how stiff and how tight the tire beads are. I've had some stock size tires that were so loosey-goosey they practically jumped onto the rims with no help from me. I've had others that absolutely required a machine to handle.

After breaking the beads to get the tires off the steel rims, your next biggest problem is going to be getting the tires onto the alloy rims w/o destroying the rims. That $10 you save isn't going to go very far when the cost of a new rim is $400+

Old Man,

Thanks for the wordy reply. Far from an expert on physics, I admit readily. Do know that when I use the hand brake in conjunction with the brake pedal in panic stops, it feels sooooo much better :laugh3:

I've been running these Stockton solid steel rims I had made up a few years ago, went to 8" for the 31x10.5's. Very noticably heavier than the five spoke Jeep alloys that came with the Classic I bought new in '98. But had planned to do more 'wheelin than I really do, figured I had to go to 4.5 bs to do this.

Never replaced the 3.55's, though I have 4.10's and tads that have been sitting in the garage for about three years. Unless I'm blessed with another dd, the gears probably will never get in.

Mileage has always been dismal, with gas what it is, figured that the aluminums' in the attic would make a significant difference.

The deciding factor that popped this idea in my head is that I'm closing on a getaway house in fl. in dec., and being that I'm flying-phobic, will have to use the xj to make the trips up and down from LI, NY (plus to get around Orlando, duh). Really won't be 'wheelin as much as I planned, so tire/rim/bs/ww stuffing is not really an issue anymore.

If you say don't bother, I'm sold...

Thanks again, all other replies too, much appreciated...

Mike

Back