• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xjs crappy exhaust system

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
my xjs exhaust rattles like a spray paint can when i start it up.
it is hitting the crossmember and the leaf spring.
has anyone else had this problem?
plus the muffler is all but jammed against the floor board.
already had to resheet-metal that part with all the heat and water rotting the floor out.
so whats a good fix for it.
by the way this is in the modified section because my jeep is modified. :)

If money were no object...whole new exhaust.

Header, down pipe, new cat, and catback system.

From my experience the rattle on the floorboard is caused from hitting the exhaust pipe on a rock and moving it too close to the floor. The other possibility that comes to mind is bad motor and trans mounts that allow the engine to move when starting.

If money doesn't grow on trees for you....then I would suggest starting with the mounts if they are bad, and then getting under there and try to reposition the exhaust by hand. Mine has been banged around so much that I don't even have to loosen it anymore.

Good luck.

I am waiting on my new muffler, but I am going to cut my exhaust right in front of my cat and put a mil eliminator in and the muffler in right after I cut it and then just dump it under the jeep. With new muffler mounts.

My exaust is hitting my leaf spring bolt in the back and rattles like crazy. over all I am spending under $50.

a big pry bar will fix the mufler on the floor and will also fix the leaf spring thing

kscherokee said:
I am waiting on my new muffler, but I am going to cut my exhaust right in front of my cat and put a mil eliminator in and the muffler in right after I cut it and then just dump it under the jeep. With new muffler mounts.

My exaust is hitting my leaf spring bolt in the back and rattles like crazy. over all I am spending under $50.
MIL eliminator? Why? I have the same setup on my 97 with no trouble. I remounted the O2 sensor where it was originally.

Cars run better the way they were designed to run....leave the sensor in place, it doesn't hurt anything.

I had the exhaust rattle problem when driving as well. My fix was simply a new exhaust clamp to the tailpipe. My rattle was at the tailpipe rattling against the gas tank skid plate.

saw it off after the cat and o2 sensor and put a 90 degree bent pipe on and make your exhaust come out the side, sounds decent kinda loud

I had the same problem, I had my hanger welded back on to my pipe that comes down from the manifold. The shackle thing, all I did was turn my exhaust clamp that is there from my universal exhaust hanger.

I just had a new exhaust put on my 86 on Thursday and it solved the whole problem. Magnaflow high flow cat, flowmaster 50 series and 2.25" pipe from the head pipe back. No more rattles, no mroe hesitation, sounds good , and if you find a decent shop, the price is right ($125 with Military discount)

Back