• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dry Sump oil

COXJ

NAXJA Member #989
looking threw the new jp mag and they had the jeep speed-ier article witch had some very neat parts on the cherokee like the insane 31 leaf pack 1/4 eliptic roling frealy on the axel. but what i am very inturested in is the engine not being bored and stroked to 5.0L but the dry sump oil system. i would like to lurn as much as posible about it and exactly how i could get it to work on my jeep. thanks

WIll

Extremely complicated and expensive,basically two oil pumps(scavenge pump(s) and pressure pump(s) ) along with a remote resevoir and all the plumbing.Definately not worth the investment for anything but competition.You dont even know what an oiling problem is until youve been involved with aerobatic planes,theres an oiling problem!!

Last edited:
Why do you think you need a dry sump? Like the previous post mentions, dry sumps are usually required for engines that cannot rely on the oil collecting by itself in a pan. Unless you plan on driving upside down I really can't see why you would need this system. MAYBE a hardcore rock crawler would have some need for it but I haven't heard about too many guys installing a dry sump. Incidently, Porche uses a dry sump on the 911 series. The only benefit I ever saw was when the car sat for a couple of weeks and you fired her up.... Smoke everywhere for about a minute. Kinda like driving 007's ride.

Motors like that use it for horsepower reasons,by eliminating the resistance of the parts rotating thru an oil bath and the associated g-forces!

I agree that a dry sump is overkill for alot of people and cars. If you want to learn about bry sump oiling systems. Really research nascar motors. In short, you have 10+ qrts of oil in a resivior located seperatly from the motor. An oil cooler is something that is very benificial when running a dry sump, you are able to run COLD oil through a hot, high HP engine. Makes even more POWER.
Now some people may need an dry sump because of the clearence. For instance, the 4.0l doesnt have a ton of room under it for suspension. If someone were to want to run a tri 4 link, this could solve many problems. JMO
MATT

Back