• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Machine shop questions

the_bandit87

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I just made a trip to the mainland and managed to track down the closest machine shop, R&D Performancenter. I went in and got some prices from them, and mentioned I was making a Jeep Stroker. Here are the estimates I got from them

Engine Bore and hone (the size of the overbore does not matter) $135

Install camshaft bearings and frost plugs and clean up the block $70 (excluding the cost of the frost plugs and bearings)

Balance rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank) $250

Port and Polish head (I figure I might do this myself, but it didn't hurt to ask) $200

Grind down crankshaft (sent to another shop) $195

I can't say I ever built an engine before, but I went in there expecting to pay $350-500 for getting the block boared out. Now the only inconvinence is that I need to get a trailer and pay for gas money up and back twice to get the block done. Now all I need to do is save up. So do these prices look fair?

You might consider skipping the balance to save some $. A 6 cylinder inline engine has offsetting crank throws and doesn't use counterweights to balance the piston/rod weights as a V8 does. So unless you have mis-matched pistons or rods (unlikely on New Pistons - and if rods come from the same engine - no problem there) you are not gaining anything for your $250. My stroker just turned 30,000 miles without balancing and runs fine.

You might also call A&J Automotive in Kingston - they build strong engines racing in NHRA Drag Racing

Balancing is pretty high for a inline 6, considering that on a inline 6 cylinder they do not have to make up bob weights for it and the crank is already balanced from the factory. They still have to balance the rods and pistons but inline 6 cylinders and 4 cylinders use the opposing rod and pistons assembly to offset and or counter balance each other so there is not work to be done on the crank.
Here in Utah I just had my crank turned and indexed at RPM Machine and it was $110.00 everything else is pretty much the same as what it is around here.

I think high performance jeep engine builders would argue with you.

But, you're posting to a 7 year old thread... so it really doesn't matter.

Back